• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Precision rifle-Custom Throated for Caliber Specific Match Ammo?

TJW1208

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
257   0
Reaction score
Was looking at picking up a rifle from masterpiece arms and getting into the precision game, don’t know much about bolt guns. I saw the rifles they make say “Custom Throated for Caliber Specific Match Grade Ammo“ and it tells you which factory match ammo for that specific rifle.
My question is, does that mean that’s pretty much all you can shoot out of the rifle??

Depends. Factory ammo still has to meet SAMMI spec. However some bullets like Berger VLDs have longer noses pushing the ogive back. IE shorter throat at the standard length. Stick something with a longer ogive at the same length AANNNDD maybe it is hard to chamber, maybe you blow it up. If you go that route then I would shoot what you chambered it for. Otherwise buy a match gun with a factory spec throat/chamber. Or reload

im in the same boat. For me even though I plan to handload for my rifle, I will probably stick with the basic SAAMI spec chamber or something close to it. I'm looking at 6.5CM so it doesn't have the issue that some older calibers might have with newer gen bullets that are better suited for long range. I plan to shoot mostly 140gr ELD (m and x) bullets, so the standard chamber should be fine for me. If I were going to shoot something different I might look into one of the different chambers.

Best bet would be to call them and see what they say about the specific caliber you want and their different chambers. doesn't mean you can't shoot other things, mostly that the chamber is "optimized" for that specific bullet with regards to the neck, distance to the lands, etc. Some even go so far as to chamber with bias towards specific brass (lapua may be thicker or thinner at the neck, different neck tension, etc).

No, MPA sticks that on their rifles to let people Know what reamer they used IE 308 is a 308 Match reamer for 175 but you can shoot anything that corresponds with the caliber and twist. SAAMI spec chambers SUCK, not throated for longer bullets

Back
Top Bottom