• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preferred SHTF weapon....?

An AR makes a lot of sense, especially with all the import restrictions on foreign weapons and the ban on Chinese guns and gun parts.
AK's are common, but not all of them have interchangeable parts, right? You can't mix and match U.S parts, Russian parts, Chinese parts, Romanian parts, Czech parts, and Egyptian parts in your AK, can you? Not without some fitting and gunsmithing, right?

With AR's, they're pretty all the same. Mil-spec dimensions, even if not the same grade of steel or same heat treating.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But, I wouldn't buy an AR just for that reason. If you like shooting AK's, keep your AK's. Have some other kind of centerfire rifle, and a rimfire rifle, and a shotgun. And a concealable handgun. If one of those 5 guns breaks down, just keep on doing your thing with the others.

The AK is the greatest weapon in the history of the universe. It is indestructible and can take down an airliner. If you don't believe me, just ask Jesse Jackson. He'll shoot you straight.

Seriously, I pick the AK because it is very reliable and because of familiarity. I've been shooting them since who flung the chunk and can file!d strip and put it back together in a minute, while blindfolded. Familiarity is key for me, but not the only reason. They're good rifles and a good caliber. I like .30 caliber projectiles.

This is all based on if I had one gun only. As a secondary sidearm I would carry my G22, w/9mm conversion barrel in my pocket.

Given that it's "America's rifle" then I'll be sticking with the AR. LE and Military uses it, along with thousands of people in my AO, so I feel in this proverbial SHTF situation they will probably be easy to find parts/ammo/mags for. Not to mention they're lightweight and easy to work on. Anyone that's ever had a problem with an AK can tell you that when they fail, they fail hard. An AR part breaks and typically you can fix it with a little know-how and simple tools, unless it's something catastrophic which I've never experienced with any decent AR manufacturer.

*compact 1911 in .45 acp
*M1a (EBR) in 7.62/.308
*scattergun tech 870- 12 ga
-------
My .02 cents...

20160724_233624.jpg

I believe it is a good idea to be as familiar with as many different platforms as possible. Even if they are not your preferred weapon, or if you do not own a particular platform, it matters not. If the shtf in reality, you never know where you may end up, or what you may end up with. If somehow you lost your weapon and were fortunate enough to come across another, it would be beneficial to understand the basics of how it operates, at the very least. That's why I have no prejudice against any of them. I have preferences, but no prejudice. If a musket is all I can get my hands on, then a musket just became my favorite platform. That is why I never pass up an opportunity to shoot someone else's gun(s) if they offer to let me give it a try. It is enjoyable first of all, and secondly it can be a learning experience, whether I learn something about a particular gun, how to load and unload quickly, how an unfamiliar optic works, etc.

Back
Top Bottom