• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preparedness checklist?

Though I don't reveal my preparations to them, I get to at least casually know some of my neighbors. If there's any warning that things are going South I'll advise them go stock up with non perishables and then come see me. I have enough equipment and weapons to make quite a little "neighborhood watch" with some serious teeth.

I wish I could say that I'd have neighbors I could trust to give a gun to, but sadly I don't have much faith in their integrity. Not only that but I have found a couple needles tossed into the wooded section of my yard along the street with an assortment of trash like beer cans.

I'm holding out for the market to tank and plan to buy a house in a better area. Hopefully I can do that before something catastrophic happens.

I try to stay in touch with my neighbors, but I never reveal my prepper mindset.

Though I don't reveal my preparations to them, I get to at least casually know some of my neighbors

This is a conversation I have with my wife all the time, she would give anyone the shirt off her back, but I know that in some neighborhoods, the people who have put away a little extra will be targets of begging, then targets of jealousy then just targets...

Unfortunately, that mindset keeps me from talking to people around me about the issues surrounding preparedness and maybe making connections.

I wish I could say that I'd have neighbors I could trust to give a gun to, but sadly I don't have much faith in their integrity. Not only that but I have found a couple needles tossed into the wooded section of my yard along the street with an assortment of trash like beer cans.

I'm holding out for the market to tank and plan to buy a house in a better area. Hopefully I can do that before something catastrophic happens.
I get that. I'm fortunate that the last two places I've lived I've had what seem to be good folks living around me for the most part. If they are competent with weapons or dealing with a tough situation is unknown, but that's what training is for.

This is a conversation I have with my wife all the time, she would give anyone the shirt off her back, but I know that in some neighborhoods, the people who have put away a little extra will be targets of begging, then targets of jealousy then just targets...

Unfortunately, that mindset keeps me from talking to people around me about the issues surrounding preparedness and maybe making connections.
You can make the connection without ever mentioning preparedness. Just be a good neighbor and be willing to go just a little out of your way to have a friendly relationship with those around you. You don't need to be buddies, but at least make a good impression on them.

You can make the connection without ever mentioning preparedness. Just be a good neighbor and be willing to go just a little out of your way to have a friendly relationship with those around you. You don't need to be buddies, but at least make a good impression on them.
Very true! Thanks for the good reminder

Does anyone have a recommendation for general preparedness? Like stuff to have, skills to have, renewable resources to focus on?

My house is on 7 acres with a well for starters. I feel like thats a good start for privacy, small garden, and a water source.
Need a generator for that well when the power goes out.

Does anyone have a recommendation for general preparedness? Like stuff to have, skills to have, renewable resources to focus on?

My house is on 7 acres with a well for starters. I feel like thats a good start for privacy, small garden, and a water source.
I have a similar set up..put solar, and 2 batteries, built pens for ducks and rabbits..got on a list for chip drop for wood chips, when u spread the wood chips in your garden, their is very little weeding, no soil erosion and always making new soil..learn to can..food dehydrators..buy in bulk, start putting up fences for animals to harvest for food, a good source of auxelery power is generator, with propane tanks..bury tank, so it doesn’t get shot!..buy your own tank so u can shop for good propane prices, other wise you’ll have to buy propane at the price the company sets that owns the tank..lots of guns, learn to reload..lol that should get ya started

All the preparing in the world will be fruitless if you do not connect with likeminded folks and create a network within your community. Survival in a real disaster scenario is much higher likelihood with that all setup prior.
Thats what I'm looking for! Its difficult, the people that I know are either too crazy, or not serious enough.

Back
Top Bottom