• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preparedness checklist?

Does anyone have a recommendation for general preparedness? Like stuff to have, skills to have, renewable resources to focus on?

My house is on 7 acres with a well for starters. I feel like thats a good start for privacy, small garden, and a water source.
You ARE off to a good start with that kinda acreage. Several good prep channels on YouTube. Appalachian Prepper and Sensible Prepper come to mind.

Physical fitness is way up the list too.
But I’m guilty of not following my own recommendation.

So I’ll go with something I do, do.
Generator (duel fuel, LP and gasoline)
Lots of extra food on hand.
Extra medication when possible.
Guilty here too. But your dual fuel generator comment is right on point. I have one still in the box sitting right next to my living room chair. ( We're out of room here.) Lately I'm thinking about getting one of the solar generators . Walmart.com has them for pretty reasonable prices.

Does anyone have a recommendation for general preparedness? Like stuff to have, skills to have, renewable resources to focus on?

My house is on 7 acres with a well for starters. I feel like thats a good start for privacy, small garden, and a water source.
Water Water Water 💧 u can eat people!
So water!

All the preparing in the world will be fruitless if you do not connect with likeminded folks and create a network within your community. Survival in a real disaster scenario is much higher likelihood with that all setup prior.
So true! The lone range thing will not work in that situation. Truly take a group to make it work.

Food obviously. Ability to grow/kill. Then process and preserve. Think that’s the biggest task. It’s one thing ti get food but another to keep it from going bad esp with out power.

I am thinking like hurricanes or parts of the highway flooded out. Stuff like that. And just being somewhat self sufficient as a sense of pride.
Dual fuel generator, Sawyer water purification equipment, butane stoves that are light and easy to carry, and plenty of butane-canned fuel. Large tarps preferably in earth tones and a new surplus ICS tent that blocks infrared signatures just in case the emergency isn't natural. Some well-made garden hand-powered tools that will last many years. My favorite is the Eye-hoe because it is weighted on the end and helps to spare the roto-cuffs and shoulders. Good pairs of long-lasting leather gloves, boots, and hats that shield from the sun along with sunscreen (the mineral kind with zinc or titanium dioxide). Learn to cultivate sweet potatoes which can grow in poor soil without fertilizer and start stockpiling seeds for vegetables you prefer. Store granular fertilizer in 5-gallon buckets with sealed lids. An edible plant book is helpful when canned foods run out. Also, Foxfire books if you can find them. A couple of solar panels are handy to power personal devices.

There are some really good YouTube channels with real information and useful tips on preparednessfor any real world situation. There are also plenty of others that just spout doom and gloom "We're all going to die scenarios" without offering anything substantial.
Sorting through the options to find what's good and what's junk is the challenge.

Back
Top Bottom