• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preparedness checklist?

some of those guys that were on the TV show Preppers amazed me at their level of readiness. From the go bags to isolated underground bunkers perched on a hilltop with shooting ports and escape tunnels. 7 years worth of food,air filtration,water filtration. very impressive. Not sure what happened to that show but it was entertaining to me.

Antibiotics. One tiny knick from a dirty blade could mean a death sentence. Just this past summer, running around barefoot in the lake almost killed me and I didn’t even know it until a week later and the fever hit. Then the pain, swelling, redness. Even the doctor was baffled. So antibiotics.

All the preparing in the world will be fruitless if you do not connect with likeminded folks and create a network within your community. Survival in a real disaster scenario is much higher likelihood with that all setup prior.
That's easier said than done. I've been looking on and off for a group to join. From what I have found, most prepper groups that are right leaning require christian faith and the left leaning groups only focus on gardening and less likely useful skills. If anyone knows of a local group that isn't religion or politically focused, I would be willing to learn new things.

That's easier said than done. I've been looking on and off for a group to join. From what I have found, most prepper groups that are right leaning require christian faith and the left leaning groups only focus on gardening and less likely useful skills. If anyone knows of a local group that isn't religion or politically focused, I would be willing to learn new things.
Start with your neighbors; they are your community.

It starts and ends with your friends, family and neighbors, in my opinion. Any “group” you join is going to be just that. Besides the logistics of traveling, some of those “like minded folks” in any group you join may be interested more in what you can do for them than they can do for you…they may be just there shopping, if you know what I mean.

Your neighbors and you will have a vested interest in each other and in keeping each other healthy…they’ll want you watching their back and in turn, they will watch yours. If society collapses, you don’t have to vote the same or worship the same god to get along…you just have to both want to survive.

My house is on 7 acres with a well for starters. I feel like thats a good start for privacy, small garden, and a water source.

Do you have a long-term way to power the pump if you loose power? I've heard of folks switching out their AC pumps for DC so they are battery/solar friendly.

Said this before and not gonna say it anymore because people are starting to catch on.

BUT

You can buy antibiotics that are for fish. They are the same that humans use.
Yep…good point.
Whenever I go to doc and have to have antibiotics, I always ask for a re-fill and generally my doc will allow it. He knows I prep and am tossing them in my stash. He usually says something like “make sure you don’t keep them too long after expiration date or thereabouts “ ….. lol.
Sometimes the ”refill” slot will be blank :rolleyes: . But that is just information for discussion purposes….. not advising anything at all here . Lol

Do you have a long-term way to power the pump if you loose power? I've heard of folks switching out their AC pumps for DC so they are battery/solar friendly.

I’ve been considering that too. My brother lives in Atlanta and just got the Tesla wall. They were out of water for 4 days when all the pipes burst from the water district during the freeze in late December / early jan. He started doing his version of city prepping.

Back
Top Bottom