• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preparedness checklist?

Just another reason why community is so important. That's what community and alarms are for, if the enemy is already on your doorstep, you've failed. It's about securing your whole community, first and foremost. Not everyone will be a fighter but, everyone no matter how young or old, can be a watcher and a source of information. Add radios to the list for that reason. Comms are another important part of early warning - example, "hey, we have reports of hood rats in the area", send out a recon/ambush patrol, etc! I assume OP being airborne infantry doesn't need any clarification on that.

I was talking more just general preparedness. I feel like I have a whole host of other issues if it were SHTF. I’m thinking bad storm, the issues like with southern pines, NC scenario, another covid BS. Stuff like that.

I honestly feel like I could handle a small threat better than a more likely situation like a prolonged power outage or just being over all more self sufficient, hence my original question.

I was talking more just general preparedness. I feel like I have a whole host of other issues if it were SHTF. I’m thinking bad storm, the issues like with southern pines, NC scenario, another covid BS. Stuff like that.

I honestly feel like I could handle a small threat better than a more likely situation like a prolonged power outage or just being over all more self sufficient, hence my original question.
I figured. That's why I made my original suggestions, because they cover a wide range of sitiuations not, least of which are the ones we've already been through (like covid/food shortages, inflation etc). The discussion usually turns toward more extreme SHTF stuff pretty quick though.

Another suggestion I can make regarding prolonged power outage is get a generator if you haven't already and as much fuel as you can store for it. Diesel is best for this but more expensive. I personally have a cheap gas generator for this purpose that works fine, for my needs. As long as you rotate your fuel storage gas should be fine for around 6 months, 3 years if you use stabilizers.

A chainsaw is another good thing to have for downed trees in the road from storms.

take your basic "rule of 3s" and then expand from there.

Basically you can do
3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
30 days without food.

Now think about how you'd get those things if there was no power/utilities and be self sufficient for 3 days. That's easy, a few cans of beans, cases of water, tarps, flashlight, etc. THEN plan on what you'd need to do that for 30 days. Usually similar, but requires a bit more supplies, food storage, and so on.

I think 30-90 days is enough to stock up on. After that you need to think about replenishing things without using utilities.

so for water in your shoes, I would think like this
Everyday normal? use well water
3 day problem? stored water (cases in the basesment, etc)
30 days? time to start collecting from rain, manual well pump, solar back up pump, cistern, etc.
90 days? Same as above pretty much
365 days? also covered under 30.

Now do the same thing with food.

There are some great instructional books about medicine, dental, etc. in a situation that is somewhat primitive. Good info to have around and a good idea to get the tools recommended in the books.

You get the idea. Knowledge is survival.
best reply so far.

If you can make a pond and stock it with fish that will reproduce readily (bream, catfish), that's a great way to go. Bonus: If the world doesn't fall apart, you get the benefit of recreational fishing.
I've got a 1/3 acre pond that needs enlarging, unfortunately that means I need to get started on the paperwork. Approval from the gods above starting with the Corps of Engineers I'm told.

Back
Top Bottom