• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preparedness checklist?

I know what freeze dried food is. I have a ton of it. Now explain how you will make more of it once the power goes out and the SHTF. The point I'm making is that once the disaster has happened you have lost this asset that you invested so much in.

I know what you’re saying. It’s not the product that you’re worried about. It’s the mechanism that got you there. If there’s long term power outages your freeze drying and sealing goes out the window.

I applaud the effort though. Something definitely to look into.

I have started working on it right now. Have the 2nd load in the freezing process now. If the world doesn't come to an end in the next couple of weeks, I'll have a good start besides just beans and rice. I can process about 7.5# of food at a time with my setup.

Corn and mixed veggies in there right now. Should be a lot faster as they were already frozen.

Not meaning to be overly critical, but you exhibit possibly the most deadly trait for survival. A very negative attitude. Sure, it will be a huge change of lifestyle and more physical work that many are used to, but it can also be extremely rewarding. A simpler lifestyle and bonding together of family sounds pretty good to me. The transition will be stressful, but the better prepared you are, the less stressful it will be. This is especially true for calorie intake.

It's not actually very hard to produce enough food if you are prepared to do it and have enough time. A year should be plenty of time to create a permanent stream of food production. That's why I have enough food stockpiled to feed my entire family and a few others for a full year.
Being realistic is quite different from being negative.
We produced about 60% of what we consumed this year. Gave away probably another 250-300 pounds of various produce. We produce adequate protein in the form of catfish To sustain and live in a rural enough environment to hunt or barter for variety. there are still niches such as oil, vinegar, grain we find difficult but could reduce our consumption and make our stock last a long time. I live a pretty simple lifestyle. My ability to transition is not my concern, we live on the edge of that lifestyle now entirely by choice. I fully understand what it takes to grow adequate calories for a year, cut and stack sufficient firewood when wood is your only source of heat To get through a winter. it Is that understanding that prompted my comments.

Well has water but runs on power. Need whole house genny. Firewood or gas logs. Food cache. Weapons and ammo. Meds. Trauma kit. Comms. Learn to hunt, trap and fish for sustenance. Learn to garden. Trade fodder. Cash. Take care of short term issues as they arrive and always focus on long term solutions.

take your basic "rule of 3s" and then expand from there.

Basically you can do
3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
30 days without food.

Now think about how you'd get those things if there was no power/utilities and be self sufficient for 3 days. That's easy, a few cans of beans, cases of water, tarps, flashlight, etc. THEN plan on what you'd need to do that for 30 days. Usually similar, but requires a bit more supplies, food storage, and so on.

I think 30-90 days is enough to stock up on. After that you need to think about replenishing things without using utilities.

so for water in your shoes, I would think like this
Everyday normal? use well water
3 day problem? stored water (cases in the basesment, etc)
30 days? time to start collecting from rain, manual well pump, solar back up pump, cistern, etc.
90 days? Same as above pretty much
365 days? also covered under 30.

Now do the same thing with food.
Curious as to where the 3 days without shelter came from.

Reactions: dpm
hmmm...my checklist has turned into SHTF scenarios and philosophical enlightenment...lol

I’m going to go back through all the posts and make a list based off everyone’s recommendations.

Also, I’ve been watching magic prepper, sensible prepper (probably the absolute best), DIY prepper, and city prepping (more philosophical).
Morale is pretty huge.

I am a God fearing man and a Christian. However, I have found have that most Christians can be stuck up hypocrites, racist pricks with holier than thou attitudes. Then they wonder why they can't win over souls for the Lord ???? My father had to go rough up the pastor at a local Babtist private school and put us in a different one ( Grace Brethern) because of screwed up ethics. Most of the teaching staff were lesbian. Go figure! They cleaned house after we left. The pastor had a meeting with the staff and said " If a family like the Vess family have to take their children out of our school we have a big problem. ". We were told that by one of the better members. I mean they cleaned house in a major way. Just shows you just because people are Christian doesn't mean they act like they are suppose to. Human nature by design. I will guarantee one thing that won't matter so much when it really comes down to it. They are living in a fantasy world now but that would change if you can offer a valuable, usable resource when it hits the fan. Can I get a Amen!
There is no group of perfect people , true Christians are not perfect just forgiven !

take your basic "rule of 3s" and then expand from there.

Basically you can do
3 minutes without air
3 hours without shelter
3 days without water
30 days without food.

Now think about how you'd get those things if there was no power/utilities and be self sufficient for 3 days. That's easy, a few cans of beans, cases of water, tarps, flashlight, etc. THEN plan on what you'd need to do that for 30 days. Usually similar, but requires a bit more supplies, food storage, and so on.

I think 30-90 days is enough to stock up on. After that you need to think about replenishing things without using utilities.

so for water in your shoes, I would think like this
Everyday normal? use well water
3 day problem? stored water (cases in the basesment, etc)
30 days? time to start collecting from rain, manual well pump, solar back up pump, cistern, etc.
90 days? Same as above pretty much
365 days? also covered under 30.

Now do the same thing with food.
30 days without food ? I think not ! Maybe the 0 was a typo .

Back
Top Bottom