• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pressure canning meat.

That's why I'm looking into it, more for calorie storage without (ongoing) energy requirements. I am OK with the food not being perfect, but being able to buy 50 pounds of chicken when it's $2/pound at target this weekend and batch cooking it into soup, pulled chicken, chicken bbq, etc, and then storing it in the pantry sounds awesome. Would not be as good as a fresh chicken on the grill but would damn sure fill out that 20 year old mylar packed rice and bean pile.
I can on my grill to avoid overloading the house.

The secret to making canned food taste "real" is being able to doctor it when you use it. You'd be surprised how many chefs used canned spaghetti sauce., and every pizza you have ever eaten had canned sauce on it.

if you can BBQ, try not to use tomato, add it later, Tomato and other acid food degrade meat over time. IMO your better off canning the chicken, and canning the sauce separately and marrying them later.

Incorrect, and that thinking has killed a lot of people.

The boiling point of liquid under pressure is higher than the boiling point of that liquid in the atmosphere. That's the whole principal of car cooling systems..

The boiling point depends on the pressure, the more pressure, the high the BP. That's why pressure canners have different weights. More weight = higher BP.

There are nasties that can survive the BP of water at atomsphere, which is 212 deg F. or 100 deg. C. They cannot survive the higher temps of a pressure canning.

The limited number of foods that can be water bath preserved naturally create an environment where the nasties cannot survive, these foods being primarily high in acid (tomatoes) or high in sugar (jams and jellies).

The reason a pressure cooker/canner cooks your food faster is not because it heats up faster but because it heats up higher, and for braising (corn beef) the additional pressure aids in cooking through and through, My mother used to use a pressure cooker for dried beans, and it's amazing what it can to do with them.

Actually both kind of canners will come to 212 at the same rate.

Excellent video I found explaining how to kill botulism canning.
Must see.

The latest addition, beef brisket from kroger, 1.97$/lb, pressure canned. Soo yummy.

Attachments

• 14B01042-686D-4CB1-BDD2-3CCFDB8E07E2.jpeg
    14B01042-686D-4CB1-BDD2-3CCFDB8E07E2.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 19
When you guys pressure can your meat, are you adding any liquid to the jar beforehand? I've seen two different methods, one adding broth and the other no liquid.

When you guys pressure can your meat, are you adding any liquid to the jar beforehand? I've seen two different methods, one adding broth and the other no liquid.
from what I've read/watched that's called Dry Packing vs Wet Packing. Dry seems to keep meat more standard texture since it's cooked in the process. Wet is more stew/soup/pulled and soft meat I believe.

from what I've read/watched that's called Dry Packing vs Wet Packing. Dry seems to keep meat more standard texture since it's cooked in the process. Wet is more stew/soup/pulled and soft meat I believe.
A lot depends on what cut, and what you intend to do with it.

Tough cuts benefit from wet pack. You want to use a liquid that has no salt (or very little) because canning intensifies the saltiness,

Yes. I add broth to my chicken if it wasn’t already in a marinade or sauce and bone broth to plain ground beef.

Wet or dry depends on what your canning. I have been eating and canning since the 70,s . Ground meat works out the best weather its hamburger , sausage, turkey, etc. I have done pork , steak, chicken , about anything you can think of. the texture of whole meat starts to go south in a bout a year, still fine to eat and taste is still good but starts getting weird texture wise. Ground meats will last 5 + years pretty much as canned, but the color and appearance start to deteriorate but still taste fine. Spiced hamburger, spaghetti sauce, taco meat keep the best.I have seen meat and vegetables 10+ years fine. Old timers thought nothing of opening and eating canned goods as long as the jars are sealed. You can tell when something canned is bad just by looking , no hoo doo in that like some people say. And you can surely tell once open.

Back
Top Bottom