• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pretty cool find while scouting today.

What is a rubbing?
You take a big sheet of paper and place it on the face of the gravestone, then use the side of a large stick of chalk to color the whole paper. The chalk will not mark where the engraving is, so you end up with a negative copy of the gravestone.

gravestoneRubbing1.jpg

That’s pretty dang cool!! I expected an arrow head or something sim when I saw the subject. Should be fun for y’all to see the dates and talk about how much times have changed between their lifetime and ours.

You take a big sheet of paper and place it on the face of the gravestone, then use the side of a large stick of chalk to color the whole paper. The chalk will not mark where the engraving is, so you end up with a negative copy of the gravestone.

gravestoneRubbing1.jpg
Whoa. I'm gonna do a cross country and bring home the relatives stones.

My old home place had a pre civil war cemetery on it, the Waters Family. Father, mother, children in a small plot surrounded by wrought iron fencing. Not far away was the slave cemetery. Family and slaves died of yellow fever. No one has ever come around seeking the location of the cemetery since 1950 when we bought the place.

I stumbled upon an all graveyard very similar to that in Paulding Forest ,nay year
View attachment 1929543
I was scouting a new hunting area I'm going to take my Grandson to for small game and came upon this. I think I'll teach him how to do a rubbing and maybe have a little conversation about history at the same time.

I stumbled upon an old graveyard similar to that in Paulding Forest.

Back
Top Bottom