• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preventing getting in a blur when taking a shot.

CAMSDADDY

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
109   0
Reaction score
The other day I was in the woods and come up on a wild hog. All I had with me was my Glock 34. I didnt have a lot of time and a bad shot on a hog is a good shot. The hog paused and I took the shot. I got to thinking I aimed at the hog rather than trying to make a shot on a spot on the hog. I know when shooting a rifle I have spent a lot of time teaching my son to put the bullet in something important. When the hog came out I just went into a blur. How do I avoid getting caught up in the moment and make an effective shot. I know a 9mm isnt the best choice but it was a run what you brung scenario. I just want to work on this because I don't want to need to make a shot and shoot an attacker rather than shooting something important on the attacker.

Train train train. What will seem like a blurr will be a placed shot. Practice looking at a spot and snapping your weapon to your eyeline, sights aligned to the spot. Dots on post-a-notes scattered throughout the house will help with this. Start slow, speed will come.
Long ago friends used to ask why I had small orange stickers strategically placed all over my place when I was single. I agree, for every 10,000rds I ran on ranges, I did 5-10 times that number doing dryfire and presentations.

That and drills in a safe place where you get your heart rate up and adrenaline rushing via exercise. Both live fire & dry.

These days I just remember how hard I used to train.

I don't know if you are a hunter or not, but it definitely helps with making shots under some pressure. The more you hunt, the more you kill. The more you kill, the less pressure you feel.

There is lots of game out there besides deer, birds, rabbits, and squirrels. I've shot a few hogs (shot one a few weeks ago) and did not feel any pressure or have a "blur" when they were in close proximity. My rifle, or pistol makes me more dangerous than any critter. Even the carnivores...Still, any hunter can feel a bit of pressure under the right circumstances, dangerous or not.

My sentiment is shared by many, including Col Jeff Cooper.

Shot silhouettes back in the late 70’s when I was a younger lad. First couple weekends I couldn’t hit jack s**t at distance. An older gent pulled me aside one afternoon after a round of steel and said “ son, shoot the chicken’s knee, not the chicken..” huh…works…

I shot competition pistol for years. If you shoot and practice enough muscle memory takes over and shooting can seem a blur. When I shoot pistol I am seldom aware of my sights. But very seldom drop a shot. Most of my practice is shooting at 35 to 50 yards shooting slowly and working on sight picture and trigger control.

Practice and training. I also like to recommend a good martial art to people. Muay Thai and BJJ are my preferred.

Learning to make quick decisions under threat of bodily harm is usually a good replicant. You learn to maintain composure under adrenaline and think a bit clearer under stress.

Back
Top Bottom