• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Preventive maintenance for F150

PandaDown

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
250   0
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy a used F150 4x4, possibly a 2004 thru 2008 model in the near future. I’ve never owned a F150 and am wanting to know what should I look for as far as common issues that should be addressed. Has there been any part that is notorious for giving them problems and should be replaced immediately?

Thanks in advance!

Variable cam timing is an issue if it was never serviced regularly. You'll know because it will sound like a diesel. Also, the oem coil packs have a tendency to crap out. Easy fix for about $200 if you do it yourself.....thats for all 8. You'll only ever have to do that once. It will feel like the tranny is slipping in overdrive. Spark plugs will need to be changed at the dealership, id you **** it up, you'll have a to bill to get it there. It was a stupid design. Costs about $300 to have it done every 75k. I wouldn't go longer.

All that being said, I own an 06 since new. Great truck otherwise and all those things mentioned above wouldn't turn me away.

P.S. all that is for the 5.4 triton - recommended.
Any other engine in those years and you'll hate it no matter what.

My 06 engine died at 109000 miles. All maintenance done right, plugs changed at 65000 miles and timing belt changed at 90000 miles. Multiple coil packs starting at 50000 miles. My daughter’s two year old mustang, water pump went out at 32000 miles, computer module out at 37000 miles. I have had a lot of fords but I went and bought a used Tacoma for me. Good luck with your search

My 06 engine died at 109000 miles. All maintenance done right, plugs changed at 65000 miles and timing belt changed at 90000 miles. Multiple coil packs starting at 50000 miles. My daughter’s two year old mustang, water pump went out at 32000 miles, computer module out at 37000 miles. I have had a lot of fords but I went and bought a used Tacoma for me. Good luck with your search

Ouch!

5.4 no oil pressure anywhere, I really wasn’t believing what my mechanic told me. He had worked on my vehicles for a while. Had it towed to another and checked. Same thing engine kaput. Damn thing started sounding like a diesel from 55000 miles on. Just seems like I got a bad one. Granddad and dad always had ford trucks and I have owned four different mustangs in the past. Youngest daughter wanted a 17 mustang so I bought her one. Just hope it is a little better than her sisters 2013 mustang. Funny thing right after I got rid of the 2006 f150 I was contacted by Ford about the spark plug problems. They offered to pay a percentage of replacement cost of installing the plugs.

I've got 185K on mine and still runs like it did when I bought it. Ran the motorcraft semi blend until the warranty expired and then went to valvoline. Only once did I have a low oil pressure issue and that was for about 2 sevonds before I cut it off. Some Dumbass didn't put 7.5 quarts in that it takes.
Only thing I had to deal with was the coil packs. Switched to the accel and never had another issue. Never had a spark plug issue, but do them every 75k just because of the stories I've heard.

Back
Top Bottom