• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pricing information selling a vehicle

StuP

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
103   0
Reaction score
So, I'm selling my F150, more on a want/need basis than an absolute "have to", if that makes any sense.

Out of work, so I don't want to give it away, but don't want to spend 3 months trying to sell at the absolute top of the market.

In the past I've used Kelly Blue Book and Edmunds to get an idea of value. But I've been checking them for values on a couple of cars and they seem very much lower than what I'm seeing real vehicles advertised for around Atlanta. Cargurus seem closer to reality.

Looking at Autotrader, there's not enough comparable trucks for sale to get any good 'feel' for pricing either.

So what tools do you guys use to set the price when you go to sell ?

Do you belong to a credit union? Your bank MIGHT give you a value estimate. With the VIN(which tells them most options on the vehicle), and the mileage, and condition, they can enter the info into their database, and give an accurate value, and loan value estimate.

Edmunds and KBB don't seem to be in line with reality, nada seems more in line with ebay and cargurus, but doesn't allow for the multitude of option combinations.

30-40% value variation between various sources.

Not a CU member, just trying to pitch a fair price dagnamit !

I'm about to get rid of my 2006 Dodge 2500 mega cab, diesel,4x4, sunroof, loaded with options, original owner, mechanic maintained. The truck runs like a dream. I have no idea what to ask because of all the reasons you stated. Mine is not comparable because of how well I've kept it mechanically and never abused it in any way. I might just keep it, but I'm not using it. I just don't want to give it away.

Call your banker and ask him what loan value is. Add a down payment, (500 to 1000) and you should be right at retail for the local market.

Tell your banker you are looking to buy it and what he will loan you, this will ger you more accurate info.

Back in the day, Black Book was what we used, and never anything above average, no matter the condition, and always a deduct for high miles, damage, smoke, needs tires, is ugly, etc.

YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom