• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PRIMARY ARMS QUESTION

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
Has anyone had or tried the Primary Arms the SLX Raptor with the ACSS reticle? It looks substantial and I have heard a lot of great things about Primary Arms. I am contemplating one to replace this piece of junk Firefly Firefield or whatever it is but they sent me as a replacement for $130 Ultra shot. I don't want to go back with the Ultra Shot because the big reason is the starburst effect is big enough to block out the whole torso. I'm just wondering if the primary arms is reticle will be clean and crisp with no blur and Starburst effect. Any information about their product line in that price range or a similar product will be greatly appreciated.

The ACSS Raptor reticle is available on a number of Primary Arms' products - rifle scopes, prism optics - at varying magnification. Since you're talking about starburst effects, I guess you're talking about a prism?

The quality of the image is going to be pretty much independent of that reticle - so you'll need to be more specific in *which* Primary Arms optic you're referring to. In general, PA stuff is at a good price point for a 'pretty good' optic.

However - Primary Arms is pretty much all chinesium - and it differs from cheap-ass similar looking devices because of their QA, so you can expect the average Primary Arms optic to be better than the GLANCPOKE OPTICS CO version which looks the same with the same specifications that costs a third of the price on Amazon.

Having said that, I've got a number of Primary Arms optics on a variety of my gear, and it works fine. On the very rare occasion I've had to work with Primary Arms customer service, they've been helpful and responsive. And that's a big part of the reason why I'll continue to consider PA gear.

The ACSS Raptor reticle is available on a number of Primary Arms' products - rifle scopes, prism optics - at varying magnification. Since you're talking about starburst effects, I guess you're talking about a prism?

The quality of the image is going to be pretty much independent of that reticle - so you'll need to be more specific in *which* Primary Arms optic you're referring to. In general, PA stuff is at a good price point for a 'pretty good' optic.

However - Primary Arms is pretty much all chinesium - and it differs from cheap-ass similar looking devices because of their QA, so you can expect the average Primary Arms optic to be better than the GLANCPOKE OPTICS CO version which looks the same with the same specifications that costs a third of the price on Amazon.

Having said that, I've got a number of Primary Arms optics on a variety of my gear, and it works fine. On the very rare occasion I've had to work with Primary Arms customer service, they've been helpful and responsive. And that's a big part of the reason why I'll continue to consider PA gear.
Oh I forgot to add the SLX 3x microprism part. It's the SLX Raptor with the ACSS reticle.

[I had a longer version but it rambled around all over the place]

A general rule for any of these optics (red dot or prism) is that you should run the illumination at as low a level as you can while still being able to use the sight. Prisms, with that etched reticle tend to be able to be run at lower levels, and so, you can expect any optical problems to be reduced compared to a red dot.

I have 2 Vortex and 1 Primary Arms prism sight, and I can run those without any noticeable problems from my astigmatism. This isn't true of the red dots I own.

Regarding that reticle (the ACSS Raptor) - I like the idea, but it's a bit "busy" for my tastes - but I've played around with one and it works fine.

Oh I forgot to add the SLX 3x microprism part. It's the SLX Raptor with the ACSS reticle.

I have one. It’s pretty awesome. The size, simplicity, and ruggedness is what makes it great. The glass is clear because it’s pretty hard to screw up a fixed powered 3x optic and the eye relief if stellar. The illum is nice. Playing with it in the sun anything past 6 is pretty easy to see. Elevation holds are easy to see and use too.

The only thing that sucks is you can’t really see the wind hold dots very well. The turrets aren’t easily accessible. I would just do a set it and forget it zero, but if the optic is ever knocked off you’ll need a tool to rezero.

Just go into it knowing you’ll have trade offs with a quality red dot or LPVO. But it is a huge improvement over iron sights, and it fills a void having a simple to use, small, tough optic.

[I had a longer version but it rambled around all over the place]

A general rule for any of these optics (red dot or prism) is that you should run the illumination at as low a level as you can while still being able to use the sight. Prisms, with that etched reticle tend to be able to be run at lower levels, and so, you can expect any optical problems to be reduced compared to a red dot.

I have 2 Vortex and 1 Primary Arms prism sight, and I can run those without any noticeable problems from my astigmatism. This isn't true of the red dots I own.

Regarding that reticle (the ACSS Raptor) - I like the idea, but it's a bit "busy" for my tastes - but I've played around with one and it works fine.
Thank you. The info say it will stay a clear, crisp Image as far as reticle. I would rather have one without all off and on feature and have most of the money built into the glass in the reticle itself. But it does advertise as being clear so I'll just take that as it's going to be better than the starburst effect I'm getting with these cheap craps. And the radical I like a busy reticle I like the Delta point so I can set my point of aim right on top of the arrow.

I have one. It’s pretty awesome. The size, simplicity, and ruggedness is what makes it great. The glass is clear because it’s pretty hard to screw up a fixed powered 3x optic and the eye relief if stellar. The illum is nice. Playing with it in the sun anything past 6 is pretty easy to see. Elevation holds are easy to see and use too.

The only thing that sucks is you can’t really see the wind hold dots very well. The turrets aren’t easily accessible. I would just do a set it and forget it zero, but if the optic is ever knocked off you’ll need a tool to rezero.
Just what I was looking for. I greatly appreciate it. Just the kind of I needed.

Back
Top Bottom