• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PRIMER QUESTION

Thanks Rick, appreciate the info. I have once fired Hornady brass and I'm going to do plenty of research and load on the light side at first then go from there,
and yes this thread has took several turns...it's all good though.
The more info the better.

just to clarify, remington specifically states that the 6 1/2 primers are for smaller small rifle loads and not for the 223/5.56 and a few other calibers:

"In rifle cartridges, the 6-1/2 small rifle primer should not be used in the 17 Remington, 222 Remington, 204 Ruger or the 223 Remington. The 7-1/2 BR is the proper small rifle primer for these rounds."

https://www.remington.com/support/help-center

(look under "ammo" then components and then "can primers be used interchangeably")

does that mean you can't use them? you can but just be aware that the 6 1/2 primer was developed specifically for the 22 hornet, 218 bee, 32/20 and other smaller centerfire calibers.

when primers were hard to get a few years ago I bought a bunch of them because that was all I could find at the time. I used them in a few 223 loads, but always on the lighter side of loads and ideally in a non auto loading rifle or in the pistols (I have a contender and 32/20 revolvers). Plus I have 22 hornets, 218 bees and 32/20 rifles and pistols and knew I could always use them for those loads..

6 1/2 primers in a 223/5.56 WILL result in pierced primers! I have a 223 that I need to replace the bolt face on because of my stupidity. All the testing was here was ok, got to WY and about 1 out of every 10-15 would pierce. I have about 300 rounds left that I need to pull.

I use CCI small rifle #400 and H335 with excellent results in the ARs for plinking loads especially. Have also had good results with CFE223.

Back
Top Bottom