• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Primers for 38 special and 357 magnum

a__l__a__n

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
33   0
Reaction score
I have reloaded .308 rifle in the past, and am now preparing to get into reloading of .38 special and perhaps 357 magnum. (to feed a 357 magnum K-frame revolver). I'll start with light .38 special loads for target shooting, and that might be all I do since I plan to use commercial loads for carry / home defense.

But just in case I decide to reload some of those 357 magnum cases... Is there a primer that is appropriate for either 357 Magnum or .38 special? Anything in particular I need to know about that?

Usually your Load manual will state recomended primer and whether or not Magnum Primers are needed for whichever Powders that are listed for your particular load. For most of my .357mag loads I like the CCI 550 primers.

The load manual says Remington 1 1/2 primers for the 38sp and Remington 5 1/2 for the 357 mag. But it's just listed once for .38 special and once for 357, under "Test components" -- not specifically for each different load in the charts for each size.

I just basically need it to work consistently and safely, for practice purposes.

Certain loads I use require magnum primers even for .38SPL loadings. It all has to do with the powder your are using.

I typically run CCI, Winchester (really like these) and Wolfs for target stuff when I am CHEAP.

For actual .357 magnum loads...you'll probably need the magnum primer to light off all of the increased powder load...

A lot of people believe that manufactures just market different ones to sell more primers. I'm not one of those folks though. I believe primer and powder manufactures will know more than the know it all folks that argue that fact. Primers are relatively cheap again now. There's no reason not to use what's load and caliber appropriate. Just my two cents.

I've don't use the Remington Primers, just CCI, Winchester and a few Wolf. What Powder are you going to use? Just curious.

Bullseye.

BTW, this article refers to a "multipurpose primer" which supposedly is suitable for either 38 or 357.

My question: Why not use a 357 primer for both? Or, failing that, what's the downside to using the multipurpose primer all the time?

Last edited:
Winchester markets a large pistol primer that they state to be suitable for both standard and magnum loads. I've used them for years. As long as you stay away from max loads you can likely get away with magnum primers in standard loads.

Many powders can react dramatically different with what may seem like small likely insignificant changes. For me, it just ain't worth "F' ing" up me or my weapons to save spending $20.00 for the right primers.

Winchester markets a large pistol primer that they state to be suitable for both standard and magnum loads. I've used them for years. As long as you stay away from max loads you can likely get away with magnum primers in standard loads.

Many powders can react dramatically different with what may seem like small likely insignificant changes. For me, it just ain't worth "F' ing" up me or my weapons to save spending $20.00 for the right primers.

I agree 100% with this ^^^

Back
Top Bottom