• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Primers

If you're willing to endure the hazmat and shipping charges, you've got the big stores like Midway, Brownells, etc.

The last time I was at Adventure Outdoors in Smyrna, they had the largest selection I've seen in the north metro area. The two local stores to me have primers from time-to-time but they're still pricey.

I've purchased most of my primers from other ODTers (see Ammunition forum).

Large Rifle Magnums are scarce because the cups are made from unobtainium metal.

At the show in Perry in November they were bringing $275/1000 without complaint, the buyers were simply relieved to have found some for sale. Regular Large rifle primers were selling well at $125 - $150/1,000.

It's not going to "ease up" anytime soon.

Thankfully I don't really enjoy shooting a 300win mag. Once you have a good load worked up you can let the magnums rest till next hunting season. I shoot either a .223 - .223ai or .243 - .243ai almost daily basis. But it would be nice to have a few thousand LR magnum primers to try in my .243ai's. I figured out SR magnum primers work great in a .223ai. Hopefully the primer situation will get better.

the primer/powder/brass/bullets hunt is something reloaders will do. you need to work a little to build yourself a folder of web sites and check them everyday for items you need. trying to find primers in a store has gotten to be a waste of time for me with the low amount they will let you have. but if you don't have any and don't load any large amounts go for it.

been reloading since 73 and have found several things about making match quality rifle/pistol ammo.

when buying reloading components, buy big. stack it deep. you no never know when you can get anymore.

don't worry about the brand name of the reloading components. they all work.

standard primers or mag primers. what i have found it does not matter. it is either or for me. this is base on testing with two different chronographs and many rounds fires on paper. the spread between the two runs between 5 fps to 25 fps in several different rifle/pistol calibers tested. most overseas primers and one american primer maker show on their primer box: for standard and mag loads. this tells me they are making one primer for both.

small rifle primers will work in place of small pistol. small pistol primers will work in place of small rifle primers. but large pistol will not interchange with large rifle and/or vice versa. i don't remember which one sticks out a little to much.

buy a chronograph when you are testing your loads. research the load data from books and what other people are doing. book data is on the slow/low side. but it is a good place to start.

redeye reloading has/had large rifle primers in stock this week. they give free shipping and hazmat. but it is worked into the price. at one time they had the lowest prices around, but not now. they have the ginex primers now and sometimes they will have winchester. i have not had any problems with ginex primers and/or redeye reloading.

another place is norma shooting for primers. they are out of stock at this time. free sipping/hazmat with certain amount order.

also, precision reloading will have them.

good luck in finding reloading components.

Back
Top Bottom