• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Private Car Sellers that are actually Sleezy Dealers here on the ODT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look on FB Marketplace and see a nice vehicle in the driveway of a nice upscale home. Look at other ads for vehicles from that same user and see 20 more pictures of different vehicles taken in that same driveway. :(

ODT has a Dealer icon. These self made dealers are trying to pass off auction vehicles as a private sale.
The bad thing about that is that at some point soon, the Georgia Department of Revenue will be calling you and telling you that you owe X amount of sales tax on the sale because you bought it from a business. His paperwork will tell them even if the seller doesn't catch on what's happening.

My point exactly...if it were a true private seller he would have known if the belt had been changed and most private sellers will state major imperfections .
I bought a car from a private seller. Title proved it. He said the timing belt had been changed. It hadn't.

Even paying for that it was a good deal.

What I've run into, and I'm not trying to be cute, most people these days don't know the difference in a timing belt or a water pump belt, They will claim that all maintenance has been done.

I just assume they are wrong or mistaken and do all routine maintenance as the cost of doing business.

I bought a car from a private seller. Title proved it. He said the timing belt had been changed. It hadn't.

Even paying for that it was a good deal.

What I've run into, and I'm not trying to be cute, most people these days don't know the difference in a timing belt or a water pump belt, They will claim that all maintenance has been done.

I just assume they are wrong or mistaken and do all routine maintenance as the cost of doing business.
That's why you always ask for paperwork that has the tag info or VIN on it or it shows on a Carfax or you just assume they are bull****ting. I'm about to sell my wife's car since her new one arrived. All work done outside of oil changes is well documented.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom