• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Private Car Sellers that are actually Sleezy Dealers here on the ODT

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe he is referring to Georgia’s TAVT tax. If you buy from a private seller, you pay the TAVT when you go down and register the vehicle in your name and get the tag transferred. They won’t forget to ask for it.

No. It was outright SALES TAX that should have been part of the sales since the business (under whom it was titled) actually sold it. NOT a private seller to private seller sale. Whatever this 'used car dealer' is doing probably is very shady, IMO.

I bought a van from my brother in law who'd sold it to me privately but he'd bought it with his plumbing company and it was titled to that business. I had the DoR on my butt 6 months later telling me I owed them the sales tax. Had it been two individuals and a non-business title, there is no sales tax.
The last two cars I bought I paid had to pay the ad valor um tax on both of them based on the value, it's essentially the sales tax. I bought them from private sellers. I did get a car from my brother, and after filing a paper with the county at the time of title transfer, we avoided about 90% of that tax. You still have to pay tax between unrelated individuals, and a small amount between brothers/sisters. That tax break did not extend to my brother giving the car to my son, he could gift it to me, and after registration I could gift to my son. Crazy.

The last two cars I bought I paid had to pay the ad valor um tax on both of them based on the value, it's essentially the sales tax. I bought them from private sellers. I did get a car from my brother, and after filing a paper with the county at the time of title transfer, we avoided about 90% of that tax. You still have to pay tax between unrelated individuals, and a small amount between brothers/sisters. That tax break did not extend to my brother giving the car to my son, he could gift it to me, and after registration I could gift to my son. Crazy.

Yes....if you pay a high enough sales tax on a car say at a dealer, the county registration people can give you a form to where that counts as the forever ad valorum tax and you only pay the $18 every year after that. I had that with my 2012 Explorer I bought with a 7% sales tax, IIRC.

ODT needs to confirm if these are Ass Bags dealers or true Private Sellers. With all the rules that is left up to interpretation by each mod they should at least have these Ass Bags inform us that they are car dealers that show up here with lemons they just paid 800 bucks for at car auctions.
Are you serios? ODT does not screen sellers. That's not what it does. Think of ODT as the old fashioned For Sale board in your local Feed and Seed store. That's all it is.

Yes....if you pay a high enough sales tax on a car say at a dealer, the county registration people can give you a form to where that counts as the forever ad valorum tax and you only pay the $18 every year after that. I had that with my 2012 Explorer I bought with a 7% sales tax, IIRC.
Wrong. The amount of sales tax has nothing to do with whether or not you pay the TAVT. If the vehicle was already in the TAVT system, then you pay that up front at the tag office. If it was in the old Ad valorum system they give you the option to continue annually or switch to the one time TAVT.

I believe he is referring to Georgia’s TAVT tax. If you buy from a private seller, you pay the TAVT when you go down and register the vehicle in your name and get the tag transferred. They won’t forget to ask for it.
I wish I could sell them my used car for what they say it's worth.

Wrong. The amount of sales tax has nothing to do with whether or not you pay the TAVT. If the vehicle was already in the TAVT system, then you pay that up front at the tag office. If it was in the old Ad valorum system they give you the option to continue annually or switch to the one time TAVT.

I'm telling you exactly what happened with my 2012 Explorer and you say "Wrong?" I took the sales contract back to the county tax/registration office, filled out their form and only paid the $18 every year after that......

Are you serios? ODT does not screen sellers. That's not what it does. Think of ODT as the old fashioned For Sale board in your local Feed and Seed store. That's all it is.
you didnt have folks interpreting the roolz to their liking in the feed store

Try listing your "magazines" under "rifles" by mistake and within a few hours a MOD will inform you that they have moved it to the correct category. Which I do understand and it was my fault but they do screen stuff like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom