• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Private Sale Stolen Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
So now a BOS is a get out of jail free card?

Some people seem to think so. Instead of putting faith in a useless piece of paper I have faith in my lawyer. I'm sure he could write me up a bill of sale if he felt I really needed one. He has a piece of paper and a pen I'm sure. His wife could be the "seller".

Some people seem to think so. Instead of putting faith in a useless piece of paper I have faith in my lawyer. I'm sure he could write me up a bill of sale if he felt I really needed one. He has a piece of paper and a pen I'm sure. His wife could be the "seller".
Precisely, Komrade!

The charge is theft by receiving stolen property..the state shows the gun was stolen thru police reports and owner statements etc...the guy was found to be in possession..that's pretty much it, the defense has to counter the state's evidence with evidence of it's own, witnesses to the purchase, bos , etc in order to create that reasonable doubt....Believe what you will, I spent over 30 years in the business and I know how it works..

Kinda hard to prove you were not in possession of stolen property when they cought you with it. I've seen all kinds of folks get arrested on tv for driving in stolen cars and they had piece of worthless paper saying they bought it legally too. Guess what happend to them.

Kinda hard to prove you were not in possession of stolen property when they cought you with it. I've seen all kinds of folks get arrested on tv for driving in stolen cars and they had piece of worthless paper saying they bought it legally too. Guess what happend to them.

I am not arguing for/against a bos..I'm simply trying to get it across that just saying you didn't do it will not get you out.
If it would all the prisons would be empty . If your only defense is "I bought this gun from an unknown person and I didn't know it was stolen" and have no proof other than that..you have major problems

As far as bos goes that is an individual decision of the buyer or seller and what they feel comfortable with.

I am not arguing for/against a bos..I'm simply trying to get it across that just saying you didn't do it will not get you out.
If it would all the prisons would be empty . If your only defense is "I bought this gun from an unknown person and I didn't know it was stolen" and have no proof other than that..you have major problems

As far as bos goes that is an individual decision of the buyer or seller and what they feel comfortable with.

I hear ya. The more paperwork you have in court the better. I understand what your saying. I think some people put wayyyyy too much faith in them though. Plus many laws put in place to protect you (castle doctrine etc) are I believe void if a stolen handgun is used. Even so of you have to use the gun to protect yourself, the last thing you need is a snag that could cause you to be charged with murder. That's why it's always best to have PD run the number ASAP. While its still fresh in your mind and before you choose to bet your life on it.

I hear ya. The more paperwork you have in court the better. I understand what your saying. I think some people put wayyyyy too much faith in them though. Plus many laws put in place to protect you (castle doctrine etc) are I believe void if a stolen handgun is used. Even so of you have to use the gun to protect yourself, the last thing you need is a snag that could cause you to be charged with murder. That's why it's always best to have PD run the number ASAP. While its still fresh in your mind and before you choose to bet your life on it.
Whoa...castle doctrine gets nullified if using a stolen handgun? Really?

" it's always best to have PD run the number ASAP. While its still fresh in your mind and before you choose to bet your life on it."

100% on that...NEVER carry one that you haven't fired and never carry one that you haven't checked out.

Don't quote me on that but there are limitations as to no laws being broken in the process of defending your home. I would think possession of a stolen handgun would apply.

This makes me want to check all my weapons...want me to trade them to you so you can have Clayton Co. Check them out? :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom