• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Private Sale Stolen Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is, of course, only assuming that just the defense presents it's case. Allow the DA to talk to the jury and even with a BOS, it goes like this:

"Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, a "bill of sale?" Really? it's a piece of paper with two signatures on it. It's not a legal document. It's not notarized. How do I know that the defendant didn't get his neighbor to sign this after he printed it after he stole the gun and then gave it to him to hide all under the guise of a sale? The truth is, I don't...and neither do you...and that's why you must find the defendant guilty of theft by receiving stolen property."

A legal document does not have to be notarized.

"a document that states some contractual relationship or grants some right"

"the instrument by which a claim or right or interest or property is transferred from one person to another"

"a document that states some contractual relationship or grants some right"

"the instrument by which a claim or right or interest or property is transferred from one person to another"

An un-notarized document without witnesses may be held up in small claims court, but would never even be shown to a jury in a criminal case.

You are absolutely correct...but a notarized document does have to be legal. So by definition a BOS does not have to be a legal document...heck, I can make a "bill of sale" right now that shows I sold you a Ruger Blackhawk last night for seventeen tacos and pack of Skittles. Will it hold up in court? Why not? It's a Bill of sale, though right?

An un-notarized document without witnesses may be held up in small claims court, but would never even be shown to a jury in a criminal case.

Exactly...it would never even be admitted into evidence to be published to the jury as their would be ZEROP foundation for admittance.

BoS.JPG

Once again.

What's the world coming to when an honest man can't take possession of a stolen gun ?
honestly, if the guy doesn't have a history of crime or violence shouldn't his reputation speak for him ?
If I were on the jury I'd definitely look at his criminal record as a way to guage his character.

What's the world coming to when an honest man can't take possession of a stolen gun ?
honestly, if the guy doesn't have a history of crime or violence shouldn't his reputation speak for him ?
If I were on the jury I'd definitely look at his criminal record as a way to guage his character.

If the story is true, his reputation will certainly brought to the jury's attention whether it be good or bad. In fact, this probably will not even go to trial unless there are some facts to this case of which we are are not aware.

You are absolutely correct...but a notarized document does have to be legal. So by definition a BOS does not have to be a legal document...heck, I can make a "bill of sale" right now that shows I sold you a Ruger Blackhawk last night for seventeen tacos and pack of Skittles. Will it hold up in court? Why not? It's a Bill of sale, though right?

hahahahaha, a bill of sale with only your signature on it. You must be kidding, if it aint got my signature on it then you dont have squat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom