• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Private Sale Stolen Gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
And wouldn't you say email correspondance of said gun purchase and forum postings of selling said gun would also be just as good if not better than a bos in proving that you did buy that gun, regardless of if LE can identify the seller or not.

It's harder to forge emails and forum posting than abos, I think.

I think you cover yourself there, depending of course on the content of the emails and postings. That type of correspondence is admitted into evidence everyday as well as bos.
If I had email correspondence that provided me with serial number and that indicated that the transaction was actually completed, I wouldn't be uncomfortable with that at all and electronic correspondence can be downloaded on disks, jump drives etc and will definitely outlive a paper document.

However, I'm not going to get on here and assert that a proper bos is worthless because it simply isn't true (not saying you did)

I just don't want people to get the idea that they can form an affirmative defense with things like, well if its stolen he broke the law selling it to me so therefore I'm innocent or I don't know who I got it from, just a guy at the show..those things will put you straight in prison.

You're the only one that has asked that , that I remember in this thread....I addressed bos because that was what was being discussed.

Last edited:
Sorry, but the last thing I want is 100 slips of paper in mime and several different peoples possession. Georgia is a no register and your little receipt only makes me and you look like an unauthorized dealer. Paper trails can possibly save your ass, but they also pose the risk of hosing you in court. I keep a folder on my computer that lists pictures, description serial numbers and the Guy I got it from or the Guy I gave it to. No sales amounts, signatures etc.... just the contact info of the user before or after me. If one comes up stolen and is either in my possession or tracked to me, I can track it back and forward a member. Sorry, but I tend do do a lot of trading from time to time, and the absolute last thing I want are multiple strangers with my personal info. Sorry, but there's quite a few ways you can hurt someone's identity with a drivers license no and address should it fall into the wrong hands. An electronic trail is preferred. However, should I purchase from an individual off site, ill do my own reciept with name and description of seller, location of transaction, along with time and date. Just enough to say where I got it from

Not sayig at all that a "paper" document is required, what I said was if you are going to rely only on that one paper document, it will have to have a way to verify that the name belongs to a real person..as others have said, a name by itself is pretty much worthless. a GWL number with county of issue works just as well as D.L., provided you at least look at the D.L to know the GWL you are looking at belongs to that person.

Not sayig at all that a "paper" document is required, what I said was if you are going to rely only on that one paper document, it will have to have a way to verify that the name belongs to a real person..as others have said, a name by itself is pretty much worthless. a GWL number with county of issue works just as well as D.L., provided you at least look at the D.L to know the GWL you are looking at belongs to that person.

Agreed, but as stated, I have done around 60-65 deals on here, I'm not comfortable with 60-65 people having my personal info.

Agreed, but as stated, I have done around 60-65 deals on here, I'm not comfortable with 60-65 people having my personal info.
As you see in one of my responses to someone else. I like electronic records, not disagreeing with that at all, they last much longer than paper.
The point is, if someone is ONLY using paper, it certainly needs more than a date and a name to be of any value.
Electronic is easier to produce, easier store, and lives a lot longer, provided you download and save, don't just rely on this server as something unforseen could happen and you may need that back up .

I'll say it till I am blue in the face...if the thought of picking up something "stolen" in a private sale just makes you all nervous, do your buying, selling and trading at retail shops. That will solve all of your problems.

And wouldn't you say email correspondance of said gun purchase and forum postings of selling said gun would also be just as good if not better than a bos in proving that you did buy that gun, regardless of if LE can identify the seller or not.

It's harder to forge emails and forum posting than abos, I think.
Thats a good idea. I may be wrong, but I think this gun in question was purchased at a gun show so no electronic thread.

That's fine..like I said I'm not advocating one way or the other..just trying to put real world info out for those that want it. I've always said its up to the parties involved , each buyer and seller have their own concerns and issues and should make their own decisions.

Choice!? You are advocating choice? How dare you sir!

A question regarding the OP...

Maybe I missed it and if so I am sorry. What did he buy and for how much? If he bought a Gen 3 O.D. Glock 19 for $50, there may have been signs he was purchasing a stolen gun. The term "hotter than a $2 pistol" comes to mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom