• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Problems changing rotors and pads on Lincoln Versailles rear disc conversion

testdepth

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
51   0
Reaction score
77 to 80 Lincoln Versailles "old" calipers and new pads. Uses Lincoln Mark V rotors that are new. I have not been able to collapse the piston of the caliper using a large C clamp enough to get this back together. Is there something I am doing wrong.

I am at a point of just tossing all of this old crap and buying a new disc brake kit for the rear.

Open the bleeder fitting and let it go there rather than back to the reservoir. Reservoir cap off?

Reservoir cap is off. I was trying to keep from having to bleed the brakes when I finish. If that's my only option then I have no choice.

Possible the pistons are froze or hanging up? I had to wedge a hammer handle inside the piston cup once and use the weight of the car on the hammer head to drive a piston back in once. I wedged the hammer in the wheel well and let the jack down on it. I could not do it with a c-clamp alone.

Try some penetrating oil around the seals. May try pumping the brakes and moving them out, then oil and then try to get to go all the way back in. This old stuff with DOT 3 fluid can be a frozen up $#%*.

Rear brake calipers might not collapse, with e-brakes they need to be screwed in and adjusted that way. I believe you can’t collapse them much with a c-clamp. Look inside the piston where the pad sits and see if there are little bumps like where a wrench sits. We used to use a large pair of channel locks to screw it back in.

Back
Top Bottom