• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Production Case Trimmer

I realize that most people love the case trimmer that they currently have.

However this post is about "Production", doing cases quickly (and accurately), where one is doing more than 100 cases at a time, many times where they are doing 1,000 cases in a single session. You could also include those that simply hate case preparation and want to get it done as quickly as possible (while maintaining acceptable accuracy!)

One suggestion that was made concerned "Possum Hollow". Midway reviews are strikingly good, with a few exceptions. I (as well as others) would appreciate your experiences that include "the good, bad, and ugly" experiences using "Possum Hollow" and other such devices to prepare cases:

"Possum Hollow": I read the reviews and like the price, but the accuracy of the cut and cleaning frequency seem to be big questions ... PLUS you will have to have separate de-burr / de-champfer step(s). However, this is only what I read, it would be appreciated and welcomed to get actual user experience from other ODT members.

Many of us (including myself) don't have deep pockets and would love to find the least expensive tool that meets our (collective) needs!

I forgot to mention I also own the PH trimmer. The PH method is very tedious. The adjustment can become changed with prolonged use, so you must check periodically. I did ~ 3k .223 with it, and it was NOT fun. The trimmer gets filled with shavings quite often, making you stop and knock loose the shavings. I use the Lyman tools to deburr and chamfer with a drill. It makes you handle each case 3 times, 4 if you clean the primer pockets (5 when you figure re-sizing them first). That makes doing 1k cases a 5k proposition...

Last edited:
The PH trimmer isn't that cheap. I ordered a .223 & .308 plus the power drill holder and a chamber plug from them, and the total was $80. The WFT might be a nice setup. but I don't see myself getting it. With what I spent on the RCBS, and the 3-way cutter heads, it wouldn't have been that much more to get the Gracey.

Do you mind sharing your source ...? A proven, affordable, and reliable source is something that others (including myself) would appreciate!
I can speak from personal experience: there area a few out there that promise "fully processed", some of whom don't actually give you "fully processed"
How do I know? I "Gauge" every round just prior to priming-powdering-bullet seating. This, even for rounds that I process myself.

I just checked and the guy that i've used for the last couple of thousand is closed till maybe the end of the year...

Home

I have case guages and everything is good to go. I usually end up chamfering most of the cases but I know most people just get them and load them.

there are a few guys on AR15.com that sell processed LC brass for about $85/k plus shipping. looks good but there was a guy that was doing that but SS tumbling his brass and I can't seem to find his info any more... talk about some great looking brass. :)

hmmm used the possum hollow trimmers for a few years without issues mounted in a drill press.. tap them every so often and no clogged trimmer. never noticed a change in their cutting length

just my experience

I will say for $40 to get them processed it does seem like a deal. I've used Danny several times with good results Hope he gets back in business soon

Wow, I'm getting great information here, and so are a lot of others: displayed here is a ton of practical experience, from very experienced reloaders ...
Don't Stop and A BIG Thank You!

I don't want to simplify or overstate what appears to be obvious but .... IMHO
The "Achilles Heel" in progressive reloading seems to be with Priming (and those problems are USUALLY caused by or associated with cleaning problems), and for Case Trimming it appears to be in keeping the cutters clean.

As we get closer to finding the end of this "string" I will attenpt to craft a synopsis and state it in a cost-benefits statement.
Obviously, it will be slanted towards what I see, and some will disagree, but that should be just as obvious.
As we all know, "Better" is often the Enemy of "Good Enough" ... and for a lot of us "Cost" is a definite deciding factor in most of our purchases.

I am about to make "my" decision:

The "Least Expensive" acceptable solution appears to be Possum Hollow. However, Deburring and Decamfering must be done in addition ... and one would like to do it "with the case still in hand" so as to maximize productivity. The obvious solution is to have a RCBS (or similiar) powered Case Preparation Center sitting right beside the Drill Press or Powered Drill holding the Possum Hollow. BUT, if one doesn't already have such an item, one is looking at ~$120 to get one! Now we are creeping closer to a "Gracey" solution. But wait a minute: I saw mentioned on another forum the idea of using a double-bladed kitchen mix-master to hold the deburring as well as decamfering tools ... but there was no mention of how they actually attached them ....? Any Ideas? I would imagine that a used mix-master at a garage sale would be really cheap ...?

The "Least Expensive" fully automatic solution appears to be the Gracey ... Lots of good experience out there. The basic powered unit is $284 + ~$25 S/H and includes one caliber set-up, additional calibers are $28 each.
However, the un-powered unit is only like $184 ... but the recommended Dalton Electric Moter 3M292, 1/8 hp., 3,000 RPM is ~$126 delivered!! I'm going to look into alternatives to this motor as the "stock" motor is now a FASCO CCW 1/12 HP motor with 1750 RPMs .... There have to be options out there, after all this isn't Rocket Science material!

I finally ordered the .30 cal 3 way cutter yesterday.

I'll let you know how it works out for me?

I'm glad you started this thread, it got me to go ahead with moving a 3 way cutter from my wish list to the cart. CD

how many reloads do you typically go through between trimming? I know it varies based upon the pressure of the cartridge. I will be loading 308 shortly and am slowly picking up the tools needed.

how many reloads do you typically go through between trimming? I know it varies based upon the pressure of the cartridge. I will be loading 308 shortly and am slowly picking up the tools needed.

You're right. There are many variables.

I trim mine the first time for uniformity. If you load for an auto loading rifle, full length sizing will be necessary each time.

Loading for the same bolt rifle will allow neck sizing only. Neck sizing doesn't "work" the entire case each time.

Some hunters don't like neck sizing only, as it can result in the bolt being harder to close at times?

Neck sized brass won't require trimming very often at all, it can also extend the life of case dramatically.

With high pressure loads, I don't usually trim them more than 2 times excluding the initial uniforming.

After the second trim, I let em go to the recycle bucket when they need another.

Inspect your brass carefully, some of it just doesn't hold up well. Some firearms are harder on brass than others too.

M1A's are notoriously rough on brass. Pay attention to your brass, most times it'll let you know plenty early enough

"when to say when."

Lots of "philosophies" about case life. Mine is 2 loadings on rifle (for a total of 3 on new brass).

However, during inspection, if you see a brightish ring around the case body
you could be seeing a catastrophic case separation with its next firing... Toss It!

Obviously, the cost of the brass is a major consideration. With some pistol loadings
where I can get cheap once-fired brass that has been fully processed, this may mean recycling the cases after only one loading.

For example: If I can get fully processed once fired .40 S&W brass for $36 / M .... or cheaper.

BTW: Just because it's sold to me as "Fully Processed" doesn't keep me from gauging every single piece of it as I often
find about 6% WILL NOT GAUGE ... Some of which will not gauge after a trip through my Lee Bulge Buster
Does that mean that they will not shoot properly? I'm not willing to try: I don't take chances (period!)

Back
Top Bottom