• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Progressive press

jcwat

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
124   0
Reaction score
What press gives everyone the LEAST headaches ? I have a lee single stage that i size/deprime on and a lee 3 hole that i load on but manually. (not progressive) Im looking into making the jump to a progressive press. Dillion is pricey, but seem to be great quality. Are they and Hornady comparable ?

will be loading 7.62x51/.308, .458 socom, .358 yeti, .45 colt and ?? i dont mind using the manual index, but for larger batches progressive would be nice

Dillon. I started reloading with a Lee turret then a Dillon Square Deal and now have a Dillon650 xl. I think the 650 has been replaced by the 750. Nothing better for the money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If u wanna see 650, Hornady and 550 together...let me know

I don’t drink the blue kool aid nor the red.

I like the hornady for the ease of caliber change.

I like the 550 for specific usage and I think you fit that profile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought my 650 retail at Outpost Armory (Murfreesboro TN) it was pre set up for small primer and 38/9mm caliber but without dies.

It has run fine after the initial die setup, I did buy Dillon dies but it will work with Lee/Hornday and RCBS dies.

If all you plan to reload is handgun ammo then I do recommend the Dillon Square Deal. I kept my Square Deal because some day I'm going to set it up for .45ACP only.

Lots of good videos on YouTube about setting up and running the Dillon presses.

how hard is the initial set up ? lee was easy, is it about the same ?

They are all good, and you pretty much get what you pay for.

Dillon is my favorite.

I once test drove a friend’s Hornady for over a thousand rounds of 45 ACP. At the time, I had One 650 and was considering a Hornady for rifle reloading. I ended up with a second 650. Then I sold one of them, and I missed it, So, I bought another 650. So, three 650’s, a 550, and a square deal B later.....I am sticking with Dillon. Currently, I have the two 650s.

They all break and occasionally malfunction. Dillon’s warranty is outstanding. If it breaks, all it takes is an e-mail with your address, and the parts are shipped asap.

In the Dillon line up, if you want to reload less than 500 rounds before needing to change over to a different caliber, go with the 550. If you want to load a few thousand at a time before switching calibers, go with the 650. If you are serious about tens of thousands of one caliber at a time, get the 1050. The square deal is only intended to do one caliber.

Back
Top Bottom