• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Progressive reloaders

For trimming brass, take a look at the GIRAUD TOOL TRIMMER THE BIG ONE, that thing is simply a dream to use, trims, bevels the inside neck for better bullet seating, and deburs the outside neck.

Doug is a big shooter so he knows what makes the job easier without too many steps to get a job done right the first time.

We have used all the other variations out there and ran up on his equipment at a shoot where he was competing at...

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I started pistol cartridges with the 550B. The first time I tried rifle was .223 and the very first case stuck even though I lubed it. I quickly realized that resizing the rifle brass should be separate process as you may have to trim and then need to remove the lube afterwards. Went and bought a Lee single stage Challenger press. I use it for all my resizing, depriming etc work for rifle brass and sometimes pistol brass. On the Dillon, I never install the rifle resizing die in the press, just start with that hole empty. I just started using a Lee brass expanding die in that first hole if I am loading flat base bullets, prevents shaving of the bullet when seating. Just an ever so slight bell so the bullet can get started. It is not necessary on boat tail bullets.

As for trimming, I used to use a lyman manual trimmer. Upgraded a few years back to a Frankford Arsenal case trim and prep center for like $180 from Midwayusa. Wished I had discovered it years ago. It is awesome. I can trim, chamfer, debur and clean primer pocket in about 20 seconds per brass. Saves a ton of time and now I trim most all rifle brass instead of segregating them by length and only getting the too long ones. With the time savings, I can trim them all back to the same length.

Rosewood

If you want to get into a cheap Progressive, I have a Lyman Spar-t 6 position press I will sell for $80, comes with all shell holders. All you need is Dies and your off.

Question for you progressive reloaders.
I am getting ready to make the upgrade from single stage to a dillon, all the youtube videos I have watched are showing the process all the way through. Sized/deprime, prime, charge, seat, and crimp. My question is, when do you case gauge and trim if needed? My thinking was to size and deprime on single stage, prep cases and then run them thru the dillon or am I missing something?
Im kind of new to reloading too, but I think that you could continue to gauge and trim on you single and do the rest on the dillon.

A suggestion is to trim, new brass, once fired brass, or especially range pick, and even brass you purchase from anybody.

Trimming brass helps with your loads accuracy, just as the primer, bullet, and powder you use. Only change one thing at a time when trying to get the best accuracy from your loads. Be sure to clean the primer pockets when preparing to load it helps the primers to seat very well.

Some will agree, and some will disagree, this is our preference which usually has paid very good dividends for our rifles and shooting.

A 550B, will serve you well until you get ready to really jump up to the 650. WE ARE TATTOOED BIG BLUE THROUGH AND THROUGH.

Should you find a good used press be prepared to completely tear it down, clean it thoroughly through the press, get a manual for the press, tearing one down can get hairy, so whatever you take off the press place the fartherest away on a white sheet and continue the full process until it is completely torn down clean a good degreasing liquid , do not mix the parts up just go slow and then put the parts back on the sheet where they were laid down. Then when putting the press back it together it will be about like a leggo assembly. Something we learned at age 10 tearing down lawnmowers, and car engines, just our way of working has served us very well over the years.

just a simple suggestion to strongly consider...

Good luck on your new hobby quest, and wishing you the best in your new reloading passion quest...

A suggestion is to trim, new brass, once fired brass, or especially range pick, and even brass you purchase from anybody.

Trimming brass helps with your loads accuracy, just as the primer, bullet, and powder you use. Only change one thing at a time when trying to get the best accuracy from your loads. Be sure to clean the primer pockets when preparing to load it helps the primers to seat very well.

Some will agree, and some will disagree, this is our preference which usually has paid very good dividends for our rifles and shooting.

A 550B, will serve you well until you get ready to really jump up to the 650. WE ARE TATTOOED BIG BLUE THROUGH AND THROUGH.

Should you find a good used press be prepared to completely tear it down, clean it thoroughly through the press, get a manual for the press, tearing one down can get hairy, so whatever you take off the press place the fartherest away on a white sheet and continue the full process until it is completely torn down clean a good degreasing liquid , do not mix the parts up just go slow and then put the parts back on the sheet where they were laid down. Then when putting the press back it together it will be about like a leggo assembly. Something we learned at age 10 tearing down lawnmowers, and car engines, just our way of working has served us very well over the years.

just a simple suggestion to strongly consider...

Good luck on your new hobby quest, and wishing you the best in your new reloading passion quest...

I had heard that for a flat-fee plus shipping, Dillon would completely refurbish any of their product, in any condition ...

For trimming brass, take a look at the GIRAUD TOOL TRIMMER THE BIG ONE, that thing is simply a dream to use, trims, bevels the inside neck for better bullet seating, and deburs the outside neck.

Doug is a big shooter so he knows what makes the job easier without too many steps to get a job done right the first time.

We have used all the other variations out there and ran up on his equipment at a shoot where he was competing at...

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

As a lesser expensive alternative (I've got one and like it):

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Gracey-Power-Case-Trimmer/dp/B0719GZTK2

Using the Gracey, you have to re-set everytime use use a different caliber to hold the case adjust the holder and continue resetting the allen screw on top, with the split lock rings we only have to set up each shell holder once, Giraud does not have to have an oil well on top of unit because all of their bearings and are sealed, will trim, bevel the inside of the brass, and rebur the outside of the case mouth.

We are certainly glad you are happy with your trimmer.

Yes the Giraud is more expensive, however the Giraud does much more therefore, it does cost much more, however we like the capabilities of the Giraud, so when we have 2k -5k of 5.56/223 one pass and it done, primer, powder, and bullet time on the DILLON 650 and we are done. However you get what you pay for like everything in life.

Giraud is certainly not the trimmer for everyone, however we certainly enjoy our purchase and we have allowed several others use our trimmer at some matches, and they convertered over to the Giraud.

Gracey is a good trimmer.

However we prefer the Giraud.

Different units, each has its good points....

Back
Top Bottom