• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Project Chevy

Yep, I'd fix it.
I see nothing in those photos that would scare me away. Some time spent on a frame machine would do wonders...
It is a 'body on frame' platform. Surprisingly, the frame with minor variations dates back to 1977.
Is the impala a full frame car? I haven't seen one in 15 years.

I'm thinking it was. And as far as i recall there was only 3 or 4 years of this model. I worked at a GMC Cadillac lot in 9t when the last Fleetwood models came out. 96 was the last year for the big rear drive sedns.

Order a new frame and get started

Back half it. Put some steam rollers under those fenders.
I have a few options for repair, but I need to get the car hone before I start making decisions. The collision happened in Georgia as he was driving from Nashville to West Palm Beach, and he drove it home afterward.

First, I will be buying a donor car. A 1996 Caprice is the best option, preferably with a bad engine or transmission. The Caprice 93-96 is close to mechanically identical to the Impala. There are key differences, but the even the engine and transmission are the same. The benefit of of using a 96 is that it's the first year for OBD2 so wiring won't be an issue.

Option 1: Do a frame swap with the donor car. Cut out the rear quarter panel and use the rear quarter from the donor for the repair. This option keeps the car as close to original as possible.

Option 2: Strip the donor car down to the shell, frame, and doors. Paint it black. Disassemble the wreck and move everything to the donor.

Yep, I'd fix it.
I see nothing in those photos that would scare me away. Some time spent on a frame machine would do wonders...
I've only talked to one shop about the frame. He was confident that he could straighten it out, but he was concerned about the strength of the frame afterward, mostly due to the location of the bend.

I’d try to straighten the frame....beef it up if you have to. . . .
I had a 94 I put corvette wheels, bigger sway bars and a few other mods.

it was a comfortable fun ride.

If you have the space, lift, manpower, and patience, I say change the frame. This will give you and opportunity to paint/powder the replacement frame.

Back
Top Bottom