• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Project Truck Gun

BigMike

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
After the last thread about this got a bunch of comments and input, I figured I would start a new one about the progress of this project. I hit up my local gun shop and several trusted AR-gurus and bought a brand new DPMS Oracle for 437 plus tax. When I get the rebate back, I will be in this rascal at about $400. I took it to the range today to break it in and I am happy to report no hickups whatsoever. I got it pretty hot ( the plastic hand guard was uncomfortable to handle) trying to make it stop and it didn't. So I think I have a solid platform to start with. This is an optics ready gun with no sights at all on it, so I am still contemplating on what I want for an optic. The first thing I am swapping is the butt stock for a Magpul MOE. The profile of the Magpul does not dig into my shoulder when I shoot. Next is going to be some type of hand guard to keep heat away from my hands. I'm naming this one project penny pinching plinker. Looking for some deals on parts. Mike

Great time to get into the AR market. It's almost at rock bottom. However optics and such aren't as cheap yet.

For a truck gun, I suggest an inexpensive 1-4x or maybe splurge and buy a decent constant on optic (Vortex Sparc 2 at minimum, im more of an MRO guy myself)

Great time to get into the AR market. It's almost at rock bottom. However optics and such aren't as cheap yet.

For a truck gun, I suggest an inexpensive 1-4x or maybe splurge and buy a decent constant on optic (Vortex Sparc 2 at minimum, im more of an MRO guy myself)

Im with you 100% on this. Project penny pinching plinkers optics I am not including in the budget, even though they are an integral part of the build. This rifle will have to work if I need it. I am not trusting that to something cheap. More than likely, the optic that goes on this rifle will be something made my Aimpoint or Trijicon. I have been hearing great things about some of the more budget friendly optics like you mentioned Vortex and Holosun. The MRO for 400 ish is not a bad option at all. I know where I can grab an Aimpoint H1 for about 550. Going with the theme of the gun, I will probably see what I can score a deal on and stick that on there.

I have some 10inch free float rails in black. They were hardened arms take offs if you're interested

I appreciate the offer. I will keep them in mind. I have to swap to a low profile gas block first. The rifle has no front sight, but it has a railed gas block that is not the same height as the rail on the upper receiver. Strange...

Update on the project. I decided not to cheap the optic and stuck my trijicon MRO on the rifle...kinda. the hex heads on both screws stripped out during install so I am trying to figure out if I want a change mounts or get another set of screws and try this one again (second set of screws.) Still digging around for a cheap free float rail. Looking for a 12 or 15 inch, prefer metal and slim. AIM has a UTG slim for 115.

I am looking to swap the pistol grip to probably a magpul. I am also looking for a set of cheap but good back up iron sights ( I think the DD can be snagged for $100 ish of Ebay) once in get the rail, I will put a handstop on it. I would swap the trigger if I can almost steal one. I think that will about do it.

Back
Top Bottom