• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Propane/multifuel generators

Had they not run the ford on Black Friday sale, I would have bought this Westinghouse as it provides a little more juice for a little less money.

I have this, since 2019, has maybe 40 hours on it, through gas. Works great.

I picked this up on Black Friday last year for $899. I am able to run my whole house on it. I have approximately 30 hours on mine now and it works like a champ. It has never and will never see gasoline.

My neighbor has a comparable champion, it has served him well as well.

For your small load there are smaller options from both.

Look what I found! Natural gas conversion for Ford generator. That means I could it down the road with a NG line or a large tank.

Look what I found! Natural gas conversion for Ford generator. That means I could it down the road with a NG line or a large tank.

Yeah, pretty much any dual fuel generator can be converted to NG, you just need to change out the regulator. I thought about doing it, but don't want the watt drop from propane to NG. I have enough propane to last me a week or so, and I use a RV adapter that allows me to run two tanks at the same time, so I just don't see the need.

Also, people in Texas discovered real quick that their NG generators were worthless when all the NG lines froze up.

I found Westinghouse 9500DF in stock for $1000. This model. Seems to be more fuel efficient than Ford. OOS at HD, but here are the specs.

So it is down to
$1,000 Westinghouse Gas/LPG 12500w/9500w
$2000 HF Inverter Gas only 9500w/7600w
$900 Firman Gas/LPG/NG 9400w/7500w
$900 Generac Gas only 10kW/8.5kW EFI inverter (?) (https://www.costco.com/generac-8,500w-running--10,000w-peak-efi-generator-with-electric-start.product.100646706.html)

Is losing Natural gas option out of the box worth to gain extra 2kW? for only $100?
Is low THD worth extra $1000 to lose LPG and 2kW?

I am hoping that if I go with Westinghouse, it will run at half or quarter load most of the time, and THD will stay low.

Thoughts?

Remember those propane tanks will freeze up too. Get a tank blanket to remedy this. The 100 lb tank does not freeze up like the 20 lb ones do.
100lb tank is next on the list. I have only 20lb tanks, and instead of buying a gazillion of them, I will get a 100lbs tank.

How much do you need wattage wise? With my electricians help, we got to about 5200 max for about 40% of the house.

Kitchen with gas rangetop, one electric wall oven, microwave, ref/freezer, lights, outlets. Den with lights, tv, cable box, modem, router, ceiling fan, and outlets. Powder room. Master bedroom, tv, outlets, ceiling fan. Master bathroom. 2 additional bedrooms on main floor. Furnaces, water heaters.

Turned out much less than I had expected it to be.

Smaller requirement, longer runtime on less fuel.

100lb tank is next on the list. I have only 20lb tanks, and instead of buying a gazillion of them, I will get a 100lbs tank.
I need to start to find a tank myself...With enough time I should be able to pick all the supplies I need..Gas tank is first on the list..Once I find an electrician I can hire, to wire my box up..

Back
Top Bottom