• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Prostate cancer and PSA Levels- Does it tell the whole story?

colrhino

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
54   0
Reaction score
Allright Guys,
Pay attention for a minute and let me tell you a story. I’m a retired Marine with 28 years of service. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in April 2021. How did I get to this point? Glad you asked. On my annual checkup in September 2020 with my GP (regular Doctor), I mentioned that I was getting up excessively at night to pee (clinical name is “nocturia”). He referred me to a urologist. My PSA levels are now, and always have been (2.2, actually) below the magic number of “4”, which is considered “high” and worthy of a more detailed investigation. So my GP wasn’t that concerned. I waited 3 months to make the appointment with the urologist. At my appointment, the urologist immediately found (1) an infection, and (2) a “nodule” (urology-speak for a lump). The nodule “could” be attributed to the infection- or not. Antibiotics cured the infection in 3 months (yes, it takes that long!), and the lump was still there. A biopsy a month after that confirmed the diagnosis- prostate cancer. My wife of 36 years and I went into research mode, looked at all the options and decided on surgical removal of my prostate (called a radical prostatectomy). I had that done in July. I’m doing great, the surgery does have some peculiar side effects, etc, (anyone who has had, or is contemplating the same surgery, get in touch with me and we’ll talk if you want). My point of all this is- DON’T RELY ON YOUR PSA SCORE ALONE AND THINK YOU’RE GOOD TO GO! That is only ONE indicator. If you think you have an issue, or someone who you love (or loves you!) thinks you have an issue- GO GET IT CHECKED OUT! My cancer was a “particularly aggressive strain” and had I not treated it in some manner, it likely would have spread. With “who knows what” kind of results. And we have our two children, their spouses and SIX grandkids to think about. Thank you if you read this entire post- enough already… end of rant. ColRhino, out.

Allright Guys,
Pay attention for a minute and let me tell you a story. I’m a retired Marine with 28 years of service. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer in April 2021. How did I get to this point? Glad you asked. On my annual checkup in September 2020 with my GP (regular Doctor), I mentioned that I was getting up excessively at night to pee (clinical name is “nocturia”). He referred me to a urologist. My PSA levels are now, and always have been (2.2, actually) below the magic number of “4”, which is considered “high” and worthy of a more detailed investigation. So my GP wasn’t that concerned. I waited 3 months to make the appointment with the urologist. At my appointment, the urologist immediately found (1) an infection, and (2) a “nodule” (urology-speak for a lump). The nodule “could” be attributed to the infection- or not. Antibiotics cured the infection in 3 months (yes, it takes that long!), and the lump was still there. A biopsy a month after that confirmed the diagnosis- prostate cancer. My wife of 36 years and I went into research mode, looked at all the options and decided on surgical removal of my prostate (called a radical prostatectomy). I had that done in July. I’m doing great, the surgery does have some peculiar side effects, etc, (anyone who has had, or is contemplating the same surgery, get in touch with me and we’ll talk if you want). My point of all this is- DON’T RELY ON YOUR PSA SCORE ALONE AND THINK YOU’RE GOOD TO GO! That is only ONE indicator. If you think you have an issue, or someone who you love (or loves you!) thinks you have an issue- GO GET IT CHECKED OUT! My cancer was a “particularly aggressive strain” and had I not treated it in some manner, it likely would have spread. With “who knows what” kind of results. And we have our two children, their spouses and SIX grandkids to think about. Thank you if you read this entire post- enough already… end of rant. ColRhino, out.
Good info,tks and best of luck .

Allright Guys,
It sucks similar situation I had mine removed three years ago left me with a limp noodle, robotic surgery was supposed to be either best thing since sliced bread. Since the surgeryMy penis has been shrinking In size 1/2 per year!There is no feeling no sensation, I’ve tried the shots at the base of the penis I tried The pump the pills! Nothing will bring life back to it ! **** cancer

It sucks similar situation I had mine removed three years ago left me with a limp noodle, robotic surgery was supposed to be either best thing since sliced bread. Since the surgeryMy penis has been shrinking In size 1/2 per year!There is no feeling no sensation, I’ve tried the shots at the base of the penis I tried The pump the pills! Nothing will bring life back to it ! **** cancer
damn Bill.

Finally got a appointment last Friday at the Urologist, been waiting since March. I had low PSA but ct scan mentioned enlarged prostate, checked for peace of mind. Office exam was through, and got a good report, told me enlarged prostate is sign of age. A friend had prostate cancer, I don't want to experience that.

Finally got a appointment last Friday at the Urologist, been waiting since March. I had low PSA but ct scan mentioned enlarged prostate, checked for peace of mind. Office exam was through, and got a good report, told me enlarged prostate is sign of age. A friend had prostate cancer, I don't want to experience that.
same about a year ago, had a camera shoved up my junk. doc said prostate looked like a 40y/o man's prostate...such is life I guess.

I have about 100 fraternity brothers, 20% have/had prostate cancer, we are boomers born late 1940s/thru 1960s only one death so far, but most have had good outcomes.....cancer survivors if you will.

I watch my "number" closely, it was up about a year ago, had prostate biopsy in January in 2021, negative samples, number back down to 2.35.

Sorry to hear that you have had a bad experience. Hopefully it will get better with time? Did you ever see a physical therapist after your surgery ?

I had mine removed due to cancer back in Mid 2019. Surgery went well but I am in the same shape as Wild Bill and am just proud to be alive. My PSA was 2.2 then 4.3, 6.5 over a couple of months and then, date of the surgery, over 12.0
My PSA is now 0.01 from last ck. Had blood work done Friday for new ck on the 14th.

"Prostate cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death in American men, behind only lung cancer. About 1 man in 41 will die of prostate cancer. "

GET CHECKED GUYS!!!!

Back
Top Bottom