• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Prostate Cancer

My dad's best friend was diagnosed with a slow growing type of prostate cancer when he was in his early 70s.

They were worried about it at first, and he got some type of treatment although I don't know if it was radiation chemo or both. I know he did not have the full surgery to remove his prostate.

By the time he turned 75, the doctors told him that thanks to the treatment it was growing so slowly it would probably not be a life-threatening thing for him; they said "you'll die of something else first!" They were right --he lived for almost 20 more years and died in his early 90s of a heart condition .

My dad's best friend was diagnosed with a slow growing type of prostate cancer when he was in his early 70s.

They were worried about it at first, and he got some type of treatment although I don't know if it was radiation chemo or both. I know he did not have the full surgery to remove his prostate.

By the time he turned 75, the doctors told him that thanks to the treatment it was growing so slowly it would probably not be a life-threatening thing for him; they said "you'll die of something else first!" They were right --he lived for almost 20 more years and died in his early 90s of a heart condition .

Great story. Thank you for sharing. I like those kind of endings.

DaVinci is a very good option, much less nerve/muscle damage, which means much more normal recovery....and functional recovery of your man parts, not guaranteed, but much better odds. Good news/bad news.....good news is you are knocked out when they do the DaVinci, bad news is that...as I understand it...they fold you up like a damn pretzel and stand you on your head when they operate, to get you in the right position.
But, you are knocked out so who gives a schit.

Hey, been there, done that. Been married for 41 years, that is bent into a pretzel. Thanks for sharing.

I did DaVinci Robot. My PSA is now 0.0....Other complications, but I appear to be cancer free right now.

I forgot to add that I am perfectly normal now(as much as I was before)...Zero leakage, Zero erectile disfunction. Those two were VERY important to me after the cancer was gone.

DaVinci Robot sounds better and better. Thanks for that. Good to know you are doing that good.

Praying for you brother.
My father had radiation treatments 10 years ago, he just turned 86 & is doing fine.
His reasoning, @ his age (76) surgery was TOO invasive & recoup time TOO long.

Been there, done that and got the T shirt friend. I was diagnosed at 60 and had my prostate removed. I'm cancer free at 65.

Just diagnosed with prostrate cancer last Monday. I am 70 years old. Anyone had to face this cancer around my age of 70. What option did you choose? How is that option doing for you?

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer at age 69 in 2003, PSA about 5 or 6 with a Gleason score of 7 or 8. Top Surgeon in the country at Johns Hopkins had a 10 year cure rate for these conditions of about 92% and Dr. Christ at RCOG in Decatur that used seeds followed with radiation had a 9 year cure rate of about the same. They now have a published cure rate for ten years. RCOG doctor implanted 99 radioactive seeds at Northside as an outpatient and thirty days later started external radiation. 5 shots 5 days a week for 6 weeks, 30 treatments. Lawerenceville highway just inside I-285. People from all over the world come to this facility for treatment.

I think they go y the name of Cancer Centers now - not sure. Call them and they will send you a brochure and video about their treatment and go talk to them.

Been 15 years and no problems that I know of. Had PSA checked for 10 years - always less than 0.5.

I think they have some other locations in addition to the one near Decatur.

I'm 60 and was diagnosed with stage 2 prostate cancer last year. I am on a watch program; have my PSA tested about every 4 months. They will do another biopsy early next year (and man, that procedure and the after effect just plain suck).

Back
Top Bottom