• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Proud of my boy, Colby!

KAHRex

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
51   0
Reaction score
I've got a 7yr old yellow lab who has never been around shooting before. I took him with me on Saturday to a friends property near Shiloh. I needed to test the MAGGUTS that I'd just installed in the P365 mags. I'd been advised in the past to start shooting with a .22 with my dog at least 50 yards away and ease him in closer as I went up in calibers. Well, I said heck with it and started with him about 10 yards away while I shot a 9mm. I ran through multiple mags and he never flinched! When we let him off leash he ran in the direction I'd been shooting to see what the heck I was shooting at.
How is that somewhere deep down in his DNA? Amazing. I bought him for $300 from a park ranger or land management guy (I think?) down around Perry about 7yrs ago and if you're the guy I bought him from then you're breeding some fine hounds!

That’s awesome!

Did the same thing with a buddy’s dog and it ran off and came back three days later acting like we were gonna hit him in the head with a hammer any second.

I've got a 7yr old yellow lab who has never been around shooting before. I took him with me on Saturday to a friends property near Shiloh. I needed to test the MAGGUTS that I'd just installed in the P365 mags. I'd been advised in the past to start shooting with a .22 with my dog at least 50 yards away and ease him in closer as I went up in calibers. Well, I said heck with it and started with him about 10 yards away while I shot a 9mm. I ran through multiple mags and he never flinched! When we let him off leash he ran in the direction I'd been shooting to see what the heck I was shooting at.
How is that somewhere deep down in his DNA? Amazing. I bought him for $300 from a park ranger or land management guy (I think?) down around Perry about 7yrs ago and if you're the guy I bought him from then you're breeding some fine hounds!
Ordinarily, you can use training poppers for a 12 Gauge....nothing more than primed empty hulls with just the primer bang.....first thing to do is to let the dog be chowing down on some food while he's hungry and eating and then start easing into to the poppers moving closer from farther away.......... Sounds like your dog didn't need that, however...

Back
Top Bottom