• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA First Range Trip Issues

alnen

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
This is an upper and a lower from psa. It's an 8" 300 blk. I fired it unsuppressed at first and the first round fired without a hitch, then problems...

The trigger was not resetting. I noticed that if I played with the safety, it would trip the trigger reset and then I could fire again. I did this about 10 times, then it fired 110 rounds without having that issue. Was this just a matter of breaking in?

After that was resolved, my shockwave blade worked itself loose from where I had adjusted it. I didn't have the tools to fix it on the range, but once I got home I cranked down on it and added some loctite, so I think I'm set there.

My other issue was a double feed that happened twice. This may be user error, is that possible on this platform without purposefully inducing it, or was this a mechanical issue? It happened when I changed mags. I loaded the new mag into the magwell, then pulled the charging handle even though there was a round already chambered. If I remember right, the round ejected and loaded the next. I pulled the trigger, it went click (no primer strike, maybe that bcg was out of battery?), then I charged another round. I don't believe that chambered round ejected, as I could see the noise of the next round angled into the butt of the chambered round. I dropped the mag with some effort and wiggling, then attempted to clear the jam by pulling that charging handle. This proved difficult. I was eventually able to pull back the handle with force and the rounds came falling out of the way. I didn't have this issue again for the last 75 rounds or so.

I did observe that the gun was pretty dry compared to what I'm used to, but I wanted to see how it did while being on the dry side. Could these issues be attributed to running a dry gun? I also highlighted the fact that I need to take a carbine course with this gun. Pistol classes helped with some of the troubleshooting but my AR platform skills are definitely not where I want them to be. Yet.

Thanks for the help!

The one time I've had a ND was my first build and I was testing everything out by running a mag through(hand cycling). It was completely dry and several times I had double feeds. Could be your problem, maybe not.

I'll take a couple of guesses at what is happening. If the upper was dry as you say, the bolt may not have fully cycled as it was dragging. This short stroke may have been what you experienced for the first few rounds. You didn't say; but I would guess you may have been shooting TulAmmo or steel cased ammo. I have seen it cause issues until a gun get a little broken in. Try properly lubing up the gun and running a couple of boxes of brass cased full power ammo and see if that cures the issues. Feeding issue could have been caused by above condition, mag not seated fully, or a mag with bad feed lip. Finally make sure all the gas ring gaps are not lined up together.

To rule out being under gassed, try it with your suppressor. It won't increase the gas pressure; but it will increase the dwell time of the gas. If it runs fine suppressed, gas system is suspect. I had a 223 build that would only run with suppressor due to gas block not being drilled correctly. New gas block and no more issues.

I was using super sonic brass cased ammo. I did end up shooting suppressed and that was the second time I had the issue. I'll lube it up and run some rounds rounds through it.

If you were using a steel mag, try a different one. I know I have a 308 that doesn't really like Magpul mags and I have a Lancer with steel top for it. Last question, what weight buffer and spring are you using? Gold buffer and standard spring or do you have a heavy buffer in it?

If you were using a steel mag, try a different one. I know I have a 308 that doesn't really like Magpul mags and I have a Lancer with steel top for it. Last question, what weight buffer and spring are you using? Gold buffer and standard spring or do you have a heavy buffer in it?
I was using 20 round pmags. The buffer as spring is the one that comes in the kak shockwave kit.

I'm not an expert by any means, but it sounds like it was due to the gun being dry, not because it was a PSA. I personally have two PSA's that run great so far. Have friends with PSA rifles that run great with no issues.

Just a thought, did you clean the bolt carrier assembly good after you got it? Mine came with a thick, sticky grease on it that almost reminded me of cosmoline. Also, what would be the purpose of running a rifle dry? It just seems like you are asking for issues.

Yup. Sounds like a lube problem. I always clean the factory oil/grease off new guns and re-lube with the good stuff. Some of that factory grease can be mighty sticky.... its more of a anti-corrosion agent and preservative than a lube.

I was just poking fun on my previous post. I do recommend totally breaking down the gun and do a full cleaning and lube job right after the gun comes out of the box. Some guns just need a couple hundred rounds through them before they shoot right. I haven't ran into one like that before but have heard many people say that their rifles just didn't shoot right until the kinks were shot out of them. Some of the cheaper rifles have nicks and burrs that just need smoothed out before they operate correctly.

Back
Top Bottom