• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA Nitride Barrels Good or Bad?

Lazarus

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
39   0
Reaction score
I have a pair of 7.62x39 uppers with nitrided barrels on them and have had good results for the limited time that I've used them. Only a couple hundred rounds, so it's a small sample size. When I was at CMP, I had no problems keeping all of my shots in the black with iron sights at 200 yards using crappy Tula ammo from Walmart.
From my other recent experiences with PSA, it really ends up being a gamble on whether or not you get some something that's a good value or a complete pile of doodoo. It's too bad, because I have had a lot of great luck with PSA uppers when they had FN barrels, but that good will has since eroded.

I have a psa nitride and a psa melonite barrel. Also, have a CHF CL PSA barrel from FN. They are all good to go for what I do. I feel like the CHF is a better barrel but if I had never used the internet to learn about them I absolutely could not tell a difference except the melonite and nitride barrels are darker and slick on the surface, unlike the phosphate finished CHF barrel. I've shot groups with all of them too and if I really tried to tell you one is more accurate than the other I'd be lying lol. I do know that my CHF has held up great with over 10k of garbage wolf, wpa, some color bear, and tula .223 through it. Still shoots tight with the good stuff!

I have a psa nitride and a psa melonite barrel. Also, have a CHF CL PSA barrel from FN. They are all good to go for what I do. I feel like the CHF is a better barrel but if I had never used the internet to learn about them I absolutely could not tell a difference except the melonite and nitride barrels are darker and slick on the surface, unlike the phosphate finished CHF barrel. I've shot groups with all of them too and if I really tried to tell you one is more accurate than the other I'd be lying lol. I do know that my CHF has held up great with over 10k of garbage wolf, wpa, some color bear, and tula .223 through it. Still shoots tight with the good stuff!

From what I've read, for the most part CHF is going to have a little better life but thats only if you shoot alot which I dont. I think I'm going to take the risk, might end up selling it later, who knows.

From what I've read, for the most part CHF is going to have a little better life but thats only if you shoot alot which I dont. I think I'm going to take the risk, might end up selling it later, who knows.
Hell man for what they cost buy two. I think unless you are shooting squirrels in the face at 500 yards, two or three ok barrels are better than one really good one, which in my case I would ruin with steel case ammo anyways.
I just really want to know where they are made. The secret scares me.

Looks like we got ourselves a gambler here :hat:

In honesty though, PSA does sell some decent AR-15 stuff. It's just everything else they've tried ends up being a hot mess. You'll probably be fine.

I heard somewhere on the internet that the Freedom line of barrels is made in Korea, but that isn't the worst place ever IMO.

Hell man for what they cost buy two. I think unless you are shooting squirrels in the face at 500 yards, two or three ok barrels are better than one really good one, which in my case I would ruin with steel case ammo anyways.
I just really want to know where they are made. The secret scares me.

Yea I hear ya. I dont have a lot of builds going on so I would rather buy quality but nothing is in stock which I find a little weird. No Daniel Defense 10.3s, no LMT 10.5 uppers, and almost every other barrel maker I checked that offers a 10.5 with FSB taper pin cuts is out of stock.

I only shoot brass so maybe that will help.

Yea I hear ya. I dont have a lot of builds going on so I would rather buy quality but nothing is in stock which I find a little weird. No Daniel Defense 10.3s, no LMT 10.5 uppers, and almost every other barrel maker I checked that offers a 10.5 with FSB taper pin cuts is out of stock.

I only shoot brass so maybe that will help.
I really like the article on lucky gunner's sight about the bimetal jacketed bullets found in most steel case ammo vs the copper jacketed bullets in brass case ammo, it's really interesting if you haven't seen it. They do a 10k round test on 4 identical rifles.

Nothing wrong with buying quality man! If someone was sending me smoking deals on Daniel Defense or LMT like the way PSA blast out their stuff on email I'd probably have something nicer than what I have now lol.

Good luck on your build with whatever you buy!

Back
Top Bottom