• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

PSA Troy AR15 magazines for $4.99

I wish my wife was as excited about guns and gun stuff as I am

My wife has her moments, and she LOVES to go shoot! Her current "ar15" is a Smith and Wesson 15-22, so she has been asking for a "real" ar15 (5.56) for a while.
The interesting thing is she was kind of anti-gun when we met.

Thanks man! That's the YHM Lighweight Series 9" Quad.

The stock is the Magpul MOE but I think I'm going to upgrade it to the STR version and sell the MOE one that's on it.

Really like that rail.
I personally like the MOE stock as much as the STR, I did the same as you with my favorite rifle (went from MOE to STR) and kind of wish I hadn't.

My wife has her moments, and she LOVES to go shoot! Her current "ar15" is a Smith and Wesson 15-22, so she has been asking for a "real" ar15 (5.56) for a while.
The interesting thing is she was kind of anti-gun when we met.

Really like that rail.
I personally like the MOE stock as much as the STR, I did the same as you with my favorite rifle (went from MOE to STR) and kind of wish I hadn't.

Yea my wife LOVES to go shooting too. And taking classes at the range. It makes it fun to be able to do it together. She shot the Bushmaster that I had before I sold it but she said it was too heavy for her. She's a little more petite. It was an old Bushmaster, so it was one of the heavier ones. The one I just put together is a LOT lighter now. I'm gonna have her shoot it to see what she thinks. She has the Beretta CX4 storm in 9mm and she really likes that one.

Strongtactics, why did you wish you stayed with the MOE stock over the STR? I'm actually meeting with an ODT'er today around noon because to trade my MOE for his ACS version. I'm quite excited about it. Hopefully I don't regret it lol.

Yea my wife LOVES to go shooting too. And taking classes at the range. It makes it fun to be able to do it together. She shot the Bushmaster that I had before I sold it but she said it was too heavy for her. She's a little more petite. It was an old Bushmaster, so it was one of the heavier ones. The one I just put together is a LOT lighter now. I'm gonna have her shoot it to see what she thinks. She has the Beretta CX4 storm in 9mm and she really likes that one.

Strongtactics, why did you wish you stayed with the MOE stock over the STR? I'm actually meeting with an ODT'er today around noon because to trade my MOE for his ACS version. I'm quite excited about it. Hopefully I don't regret it lol.

Reasons that you already mentioned actually. The MOE is a lot lighter than the STR. Now, I will say the STR seems a little tougher and there is less (no) wiggle on it, but the CTR is pretty much the MOE with a lock to prevent that wiggle as well, without much extra weight. I had an ACS-L on one of my rifles, but didn't like the look of it that much. I eventually sold that whole rifle anyway.

All that said, I literally just ordered the PSA Magpul complete lower for my wife's build. We will see how it turns out.
I am with you on the petite wife stuff, mine is 5' and 100 lbs, so she doesn't want anything heavy or with a kick (insert dick joke here).

She actually saw a pink camo cerakote job on a rifle at a local shop this past weekend and is now pushing heavy for an ar15...with that pink cerakote furniture. The girl at the counter told her that in the sun, it sparkles, and my wife lit up as if it was a new diamond ring. LOL.

In my opinion the MOE is the best stock offering that Magpul has except that it lacks qd swivel points. It is cheap, light, and tough as hell. I would have one except for the lack of a qd swivel stud.

Reasons that you already mentioned actually. The MOE is a lot lighter than the STR. Now, I will say the STR seems a little tougher and there is less (no) wiggle on it, but the CTR is pretty much the MOE with a lock to prevent that wiggle as well, without much extra weight. I had an ACS-L on one of my rifles, but didn't like the look of it that much. I eventually sold that whole rifle anyway.

All that said, I literally just ordered the PSA Magpul complete lower for my wife's build. We will see how it turns out.
I am with you on the petite wife stuff, mine is 5' and 100 lbs, so she doesn't want anything heavy or with a kick (insert dick joke here).

She actually saw a pink camo cerakote job on a rifle at a local shop this past weekend and is now pushing heavy for an ar15...with that pink cerakote furniture. The girl at the counter told her that in the sun, it sparkles, and my wife lit up as if it was a new diamond ring. LOL.

Lol on the pink sparkles. My wife surprised me though because she loves pink too but she doesn't want a lot of pink on a gun. She said it doesn't look bad*** enough haha.

In my opinion the MOE is the best stock offering that Magpul has except that it lacks qd swivel points. It is cheap, light, and tough as hell. I would have one except for the lack of a qd swivel stud.

The lack of a qd mount is the exact thing that made me want to change the stock. But then I saw that the STR and ACS have better cheek weld and that intrigued me. I'm going to be hunting coyotes with this thing, so I'm thinking I'll like the better cheek weld when looking down a 4x12 scope for a 300+ yard shot.

You can actually buy the qd sling mounts from magpul, but if you're going to spend the extra money you may as well just buy the CTR. It would actually be cheaper that way if you factor in shipping. I'm trading the MOE for the ACS as a straight trade, so I'll spend the money on the qd mount for it. A little loctite on it and it should be just fine.

Lol on the pink sparkles. My wife surprised me though because she loves pink too but she doesn't want a lot of pink on a gun. She said it doesn't look bad*** enough haha.

The lack of a qd mount is the exact thing that made me want to change the stock. But then I saw that the STR and ACS have better cheek weld and that intrigued me. I'm going to be hunting coyotes with this thing, so I'm thinking I'll like the better cheek weld when looking down a 4x12 scope for a 300+ yard shot.

You can actually buy the qd sling mounts from magpul, but if you're going to spend the extra money you may as well just buy the CTR. It would actually be cheaper that way if you factor in shipping. I'm trading the MOE for the ACS as a straight trade, so I'll spend the money on the qd mount for it. A little loctite on it and it should be just fine.

Honestly I prefer the SOPMOD or VLTOR stocks over anything Magpul has to offer so it isn't a big deal for me.

Honestly I prefer the SOPMOD or VLTOR stocks over anything Magpul has to offer so it isn't a big deal for me.

Good to know. I don't have any experience with those. I'll be the first to admit that I don't always branch out as much as I should. There easily could be better options out there for me. I'll be looking into those some more though. They look like they have pretty good cheek weld.

I am going with the mft minimalist for my build. I think it has qd on it already...unless it was another one I am thinking of.

Yea that stock definitely has it's following. I'm pretty sure the minimalist version doesn't have a QD mount on it. But you can buy those mounts no problem. Magpul sells them and I believe a company called IWC sells a mount you can easily put on the minimalist. I would recommend some loctite though for any added sling mount. That's just my $0.02.

Btw, I haven't received my dang shipping order from PSA yet, but it's only been a couple days.

Back
Top Bottom