GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
IMG_6181.JPG
IMG_6182.JPG

Did you know pump shotguns can jam?
Sure as the class they are more reliable than semi autos, but no mechanical device is 100% reliable all the time, forever .

Today I had a jam shooting two and three-quarter inch shells out of a 20 gauge Mossberg 500.
I pumped it carefully and hard; I did not short stroke it. The muzzle was aimed up at a very sharp angle skyward when I did this though .

The round you see in the action was NEW ROUND, live, jammed nose down; it would not come loose from shaking the gun even rapping the butt on a tree stump.
I had to pry the shell out with my pinky finger .

I actually bought cheap aluminum cased ammo that Jammed a revolver.. Go figure. I guess the cases expanded and would occasionally prevent the cylinder from rotating.

I actually bought cheap aluminum cased ammo that Jammed a revolver.. Go figure. I guess the cases expanded and would occasionally prevent the cylinder from rotating.

I've seen a revolver get jammed as well. The force of the recoil shook one of the bullets in a chamber out further and further and then when it got to it, the now way too long round jammed against the frame. First time I've ever seen it. Was the white and green boxed Remington ammo 38spl.

That is awful rare. I have owned and hunted with a pump shotgun for in excess of 35 years and I have never experienced a jam. I am not saying it doesn't happen. Hell any mechanical device can malfunction at some time or another but it's the first time I have seen a shotgun jam. Of course they don't make them like they use too.

It's not uncommon, even on a good gun like a Remington, for the shell latch on the magazine to "jump" the rim if the gun is at an usual angle, or the latch is a little worn. It will jam it right up and you have to take the barrel off to get it all sorted out, or dig the shell out with a knife.

It can be really hard to diagnose because everything looks o.k.

Back
Top Bottom