• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Purchased vehicle over 45 days ago, still no title and can't register it. What are my options?

Trailrider

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
117   1
Reaction score
Long story short, purchased a used truck mid September from a major dealer here in Macon. The temporary tag has already expired and I'm on an extension I got from the county tag office. If that expires the truck won't be legally registered. Called the tag office today and it looks like they still don't have anything in the system for it. She said to check back in a couple of weeks. Called dealer and they don't have an answer, except some mumbling about out of state title taking longer than usual, etc. that they would call me back later.

So my question is, GA says 30 days. I'm assuming they sold me a truck that they didn't have the title in their possession at the time of the deal because it was bought at auction. Technically it's illegal to do that but a lot of dealers do.

If it makes a difference it's financed through a local credit union who is aware of the situation since they are the lien holder and have to have the title in their possession.

What are my legal options at this point? Or do I have to wait it out and hope for the best? I'm just frustrated and the bank is on my butt about it too.

It depends where the hang up is I think. Best bet is to be the squeaky wheel and to call them both every few days and keep bugging them. Call the credit union, but I doubt they would be able to fix it.

In GA now its required the TAG stuff to be doen electronic and I know some dealers or the process seems to be not the best.

Good luck I know stuff like this is a pain!!

What are my legal options at this point? Or do I have to wait it out and hope for the best? I'm just frustrated and the bank is on my butt about it too.
tag-applied-for.png

Long story short, purchased a used truck mid September from a major dealer here in Macon. The temporary tag has already expired and I'm on an extension I got from the county tag office. If that expires the truck won't be legally registered. Called the tag office today and it looks like they still don't have anything in the system for it. She said to check back in a couple of weeks. Called dealer and they don't have an answer, except some mumbling about out of state title taking longer than usual, etc. that they would call me back later.

So my question is, GA says 30 days. I'm assuming they sold me a truck that they didn't have the title in their possession at the time of the deal because it was bought at auction. Technically it's illegal to do that but a lot of dealers do.

If it makes a difference it's financed through a local credit union who is aware of the situation since they are the lien holder and have to have the title in their possession.

My first action would be to go to the dealer or wherever you bought it from them and see if they processed the paperwork to get the title changed. I remember from one of my transactions they "cut their costs" by not charging for the paperwork (and not doing) and such to get the title transferred. Take a VERY close look at your bill of sale and see if it mentions that TAG, TAX and TITLE were part of the transaction you paid for...

Tell them they can buy the truck back if they can’t get the freaking title.
I was worried about having to do this. I'm assuming I'd need an attorney to go that route?

My first action would be to go to the dealer or wherever you bought it from them and see if they processed the paperwork to get the title changed. I remember from one of my transactions they "cut their costs" by not charging for the paperwork (and not doing) and such to get the title transferred. Take a VERY close look at your bill of sale and see if it mentions that TAG, TAX and TITLE were part of the transaction you paid for...
Yeah, the BoS clearly states Tag, Tax, Title.

My thought process went to they didn't have the title in their possession or had an issue getting it transferred to them, before transferring to me.

Make them buy it back. Inform them when you'll be there, so they can have payment in full ready
OK so I've heard a couple folks say that and from some quick Google Fu the same thing. Is that possible to do now or do I have to give them X amount of days? I'm gonna be mad when this temporary tag extension runs out and I can't drive it.

Back
Top Bottom