• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Purchased vehicle over 45 days ago, still no title and can't register it. What are my options?

Well that was quick. I made a couple of phone calls about an hour ago and just got a call back from the dealer. Magically the title is at the top of the stack with their title dept and will be processed through the system today. Should be in the system in the hour and will be able to get my registration done today if so. Weird how that works.... I'm not holding my breath though. I'll check in a couple of hours and see if they really do. She said she would scan and email me a copy to prove it's there as well...

They are probably floating the money. Most dealers don’t own their inventory. They have it “ floorplanned” with a major financial organization like chase. Once they report it as sold they are required to send the financial company the money that they owe on it. A lot of dealers will take a deal and “float “ it. Meaning let’s say you write me a check for $25k for a truck that I owe $23500 on. If my financial company doesn’t know it’s sold because I don’t report it then I can take your $25k and 15 other or 50 other deals and deposit those funds in a short term cd and draw the interest. After 30-60 days I take it out and pay out to the financial guys.
If I report it immediately and send in the tag paperwork I earned $1500 on your vehicle instead of interest of 300k then the original $1500. Not a big deal unless you are selling high volume.

Other thing is they may just be lazy

Back
Top Bottom