• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Purpose of the 1911 PLUG GUIDE ROD REVERSE SUPPORTED FOR BULL BARREL CLOSED END FULL-SIZE

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
OK, I am not yelling, but copied the title from the Wilson Combat site. I have one of these on a SA, and have to say, it is a sheer pain in the arse putting the spring in. What is the purpose other than the clean look at the front? Or am I totally missing something?

1677449790010.png

One of the selling points is in the title: "SUPPORTED FOR BULL BARREL".

It is supposed to provide support for the barrel at the six o'clock position, giving it 360 degree support. I call B.S., because bull barrels really only bear against the lower third of that area anyways. (The barrel cams forward and down in that area.)

A lot of aftermarket parts for guns are made because of a perception that they're needed. A case-in-point is the Extended Slide Stop for a 1911. Even Bill Wilson says don't use 'em. But guess what Wilson Combat will sell you... an Extended Slide Stop.

They make them like the one Spistols has with a hole to allow the use of a full length guide rod and almost retain the same basic look. Then you can use paper clip technique.

Back
Top Bottom