• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pursuing a career as a gunsmith?

Tusker6N

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
77   0
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for schools or care to share their experience with me about how they went about becoming a gunsmith.

I'm seriously considering pursuing this as a full-time career. I've already asked the one local shop that has a Master Smith if he would take me as an apprentice with no luck. So, official schooling is my only route.

I'm also going to get my certifications in welding and metal machining at Savannah Tech. Focusing on mig, tig, and soldering. Machining will focus on lathe and fabrication.

It’s a lost art. I wouldn’t plan living off it but YMMV.
Yeah, not planning to live off the "profits."

I'm already drawing a pension and my GI bill is paying for the schooling. Being that I'm living comfortable and content with where I'm at, might as well do something I already enjoy.

Sounds like your heading in the right direction. Any chance the military will send you to small arms repair in Maryland? It good knowledge, I was there some 13 years ago. Look up manufacturer certification course (maybe your GI bill will pay for some of it). If you get enough experience KBR is always looking for armorers (to go overseas). CMP armory would be with a try as well.

Lassen Collage school of gunsmithing northern Ca rated one of the best schools for gun smithing it’s far from Georgia but you’ll learn from the best they have a lot of funding offers GI SSI Disability can fly into Reno

Back
Top Bottom