• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Pursuing a career as a gunsmith?

I used my GI Bill to go to the Colorado School of Trade. I’ve worked for several large firearms manufacturers, Gunsmith shop and now an ammo manufacturer. And haven’t looked back. Yes, could make twice as much turning wrenches on heavy duty diesel trucks/equipment. Do a job you love, never work a day.

I used my GI Bill to go to the Colorado School of Trade. I’ve worked for several large firearms manufacturers, Gunsmith shop and now an ammo manufacturer. And haven’t looked back. Yes, could make twice as much turning wrenches on heavy duty diesel trucks/equipment. Do a job you love, never work a day.
I'm in the same exact shoes as you, just quite a few steps behind you.

If theres one thing Ive learned from workng as a gunsmith (my current full time occupation), its that the game has changed considerably. There are a lot of facets to this business. If youre not doing all of the little things like sight installs, small AR upgrades, cleaning, etc., you need to specialize in something and be the guy to see for that. Currently, Im the guy doing everything possible, the little stuff and the buig stuff that Im able to do. It can be frustrating, particularly when youve gone through a gunsmith school and know what tools you need to do things right and not have them available (one of the detriments to working at most ranges).

All this being said, if you have machining and welding experience, youre ahead of the game. The school I went to didnt prepare me at all for how the industry had and has moved. Your money makers are the quick jobs and the volume you can do them in. A lot of the school doesnt involve teaching you how to do those most efficiently. (CST didnt focus on pistol sights at all, which is one of my biggest moneymakers). While I didnt completely waste my money and time there, I still dont feel like it was worth the money that went into it. The certification is nice getting your foot in the door, but it only helps if youre planning on working for someone else. If you want your own operation, having the necessary fabrication experience and a working knowledge of what the market is doing are far better teachers.

This doesn't fit with the gun theme but it does fit with a business idea. I have a small cabinet and cabinet door business . I specialize a bit , but , I've found it more profitable to do a larger variety of job types . Being a one trick pony doing only one kind of thing is a recipe for disaster ! Don't box yourself in to just one thing !

I'm trying to be as versatile as possible; but know when it is more cost effective to outsource based on demand/frequency vs my own cost to do it myself. If I get enough request to do something. I may invest in the tools to do it.

As a gunsmith who doesnt work for someone else, its a good idea to just have your own full setup. That way, you have more services to offer and are able to finish jobs quicker. Sometimes, youll get jobs that have one aspect that needs farmed out and the rest can be done in house. If you can do everything, you can also more realistically guarantee the work and have control over how and when it gets done (thus adding to your reputation). Not to mention the fact that if you have full capabilities, your name will get out faster. This is particularly necessary if you dont have walk in traffic from people using the range or shopping for guns.

Right now I have a job offer that is at a gun store, range and is well established. The owner wants me to start as soon as I finish school. They don't have a steady smith working. I'm not sure what their setup is, equipment, or what I will need to start off.

Brownells will have most of the hand tools you need. I built my own benches, that isnt hard. One piece of equipment that most people neglect that shouldnt be overlooked is a good machinists vise. I have a nice US made Wilton that cost me about $500. Its absolutely freakin essential. Not only that, youll need a bench grinder (belt or wheel), a disc sander (for recoil pads and such) a good Dremel or Foredom, rods for knocking out squibs, plenty of cleaning supplies, a decent rack to hold a bunch of guns (also often overlooked, believe it or not), a nice toolbox to hold everything, a nice set of calipers (not Chinese), and in this day and age, a computer (emails, parts ordering, looking diagrams up online, its essential). That will get you to a point where you realize you want something else and figure out what that is.

Back
Top Bottom