• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Push off S&W Pre Model 10

BLIP

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
STOCKS REFINISHED
657   1
Reaction score
I picked up a 38 special last night, she is about 70 years old and has been re-finished (nickel) I did not notice, or maybe didn't attempt in my haste to check the push off thoroughly. I was cleaning it this morning and finding the trigger to be very light tried pushing her off.... Oh man, It was a little too easy. My question is this...
Would the refinish of the hammer and trigger be the culprit, and what are my remedies to fix this issue. Would Smith repair this under the circumstances?
Thanks in advance.

Your prob. is where the hammer and the trigger meet (sear) due to the age one or both may be worn down/or they have been filed or ground down (in the belief that that is how to make trigger pull lighter) too much and they are not making sufficient contact to hold the contact until the trigger is pulled, that's why you can "push off".
Worked on a LEO's model 19 years ago that someone had done it to, you could literally back the hammer and hold the gun in the firing position then just bump your other hand against the hand holding the gun and it would fire.
One or both parts will have to be replaced to prevent the push off.

If you are familiar enough with the internals, you can break it down and visually check the fit, if you do break it down be sure and lay the side plate screws out in order to remember which screw came from which hole, they must go back in the same hole...though they look the same length to the eye , they are NOT and if you get them wrong you can jam your internal mechanism or even warp the side plate and it will have to be replaced .

Your prob. is where the hammer and the trigger meet (sear) due to the age one or both may be worn down/or they have been filed or ground down (in the belief that that is how to make trigger pull lighter) too much and they are not making sufficient contact to hold the contact until the trigger is pulled, that's why you can "push off".
Worked on a LEO's model 19 years ago that someone had done it to, you could literally back the hammer and hold the gun in the firing position then just bump your other hand against the hand holding the gun and it would fire.
One or both parts will have to be replaced to prevent the push off.
I kind of guessed that was the issue, but would Smith warranty that or do I have to find a real smithy...

I kind of guessed that was the issue, but would Smith warranty that or do I have to find a real smithy...

You can do it, if you can find the parts, its not that hard.
Don't know for certain on S&W warranty...something that old, doubt it tho but never hurts to ask them but if someone has been in there filing and grinding for sure suspect no warranty.

Smith and Wesson will not fix it under warranty. I echo the earlier statement, it's fixable as is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can do it, if you can find the parts, its not that hard.
Don't know for certain on S&W warranty...something that old, doubt it tho but never hurts to ask them but if someone has been in there filing and grinding for sure suspect no warranty.
Thanks Badger I think I could pull it off... Maybe better just to change single action option!

Do you think I should open it up and inspect or start with the springs and tension? How much push off is too much. I am comparing this one to my only other revolver, a Super Redhawk...

Do you think I should open it up and inspect or start with the springs and tension? How much push off is too much. I am comparing this one to my only other revolver, a Super Redhawk...

First make sure your hammer spring tension screw is turned all the way in. I've had people say "check out the light smooth trigger on this!" Only to realize they had backed off the tension and pretty much assured the revolver would not set off bulk ammo primers. That tension also plays a major role in the tension on the sear contact of the hammer and trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom