• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question About a Car Warranty

sabrev65

Default rank <750 posts
Living proof of a dying breed.
103   0
Reaction score
My daughter ( in Texas) was gifted a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback, by an elderly lady that she helps. (My daughter shops, runs errands and takes her to doctor visits). The vehicle has 58,000 miles on it. The car quit going in reverse about 5 weeks ago. The TCM (transmission control module) was the source of the problem. A Ford dealership said that the part was under warranty (I think 80K or 10 years) and would be repaired for free.
My daughter agreed that they could do the work. The vehicle sat at the dealership awaiting the part for 5 wks . A few days ago the dealership called my daughter and told her the car was repaired and was ready to be picked up. She arranged to pick it up later in the day. A few hours later the dealership called again and told my daughter that the repair would cost $1700.00, and that the warranty would NOT cover the cost. The Manager said the the warranty time limit started from the build date on the car (09/2011), therefore the warranty for the part had expired. He apologized for the "mix-up" and said he would take $1000.00 off the price of the repair. (He had previously assured her the repair WAS covered)

I know dealerships commit shenanigans, but my question is this.. When does a car warranty start, from the build date, the model year or the date the car is purchased? I apologize if the post seems a little disorganized..

I appreciate any advice. She has made arrangements to talk with the dealership manager, (she had been dealing with the service manager). I spoke with my mechanic here.. typical price for the repair is around $700.00.. I think the $1000.00 discount was bogus

I thought so.. being my daughter..They will have their hands full for awhile
Sounds like they're trying to pull a fast one. Fight it to the end. Keep going up the ladder if you have too. They told her one thing then tried to renegotiate. Wrong, wrong, wrong. The new warranty should start at date of purchase.

If they refuse to honor what they told her, she can always get a big sign and start walking out in front of the dealership. Telling people the facts (exactly what happened) on a busy Saturday might get their attention.

Sounds as though they are trying to pull a fast on on her, to get $700. Who knows - maybe Ford DID pay the dealer....?

She should have a sit down with the ownership/management of the dealership. Assurances were made that were “materially relied upon”. (Key words)

Explain that this matter will be the subject of a lawsuit, and you can either resolve this matter as the service manager initially bargained for to get my business, and between now and our court date, I will be on every social media site I can come up with to expose you seedy practices.

Certified letters to the president and CEO of the automobile will be forthcoming as well as letters to every radio and television ombudsman in this area.

Back
Top Bottom