• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about carrying

blazedawg87

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
198   0
Reaction score
Can you carry on a boat without a license? I know you can carry in a vehicle because it is an extension of them home, but what about a boat?

The law reads "motor vehicle", as to whether a Enforcement officer would consider a boat a motor vehicle could be up to debate. More importantly, it is AGAINST the law to carry on COE land. Most fishing, as far as I know, would be on COE land.

The law also states if you are "actively engaged" in fishing or hunting, you do not need a license, so that would cover you if you are not on COE property.

Also, you can carry in your vehicle, because the law says "vehicle". It DOES NOT say because it is an extension of your home. This is often quoted by folks, but the law does not say that.

Check out OCGA 16-11-126 for these provisions.

Jerry

Why not just get a GWL and be done with it? A lot of these questions would never be asked if you get the license. Remember you can't carry a gun concealed or open if you are disqualified from owning one or can't get a GWL no matter where you are. A motor vehicle is NOT an extension of your home, that is bad information that is repeated over and over again by the unknowing. COE expressly prohibits firearms on it's land, even in a motor vehicle and they are in control of most lakes in Georgia. I know a lot of guys carry in their boats with no problem, but all it takes is having them search your boat one time while carrying at the wrong place and your right to carry may be severely curtailed in the future. Arm chair lawyers will tell you that you aren't carrying on COE land while in your boat, but unless your boat flew there you were on COE land with a weapon and will be again if you leave the water to go home with your boat. I think the COE regulation is stupid, but I obey it because I don't want to deal with a Federal firearms charge.

Some lakes are not COE,but are owned by power companies.I presume you can carry in your boat on these.Some COE land you can hunt on.Some WMA land is on COE.(West Point WMA,Allatoona,Clarks Hill)The only gun you can carry in a boat on COE is a shotgun during goose and duck season.Used to be you could carry an unloaded gun in your boat on COE lakes anytime,but no more.Yep,it should be allowed.LOTTA hoodlums on Allatoona.If I camp on a COE campground,I have a gun,but nobody ever sees it.A game warden told me,once,that he would not camp on Allatoona without a gun.Having a gun on COE land,in a camp,most likely saved my life,and my wife`s once.Nuff said.

Why not just get a GWL and be done with it? A lot of these questions would never be asked if you get the license. Remember you can't carry a gun concealed or open if you are disqualified from owning one or can't get a GWL no matter where you are. A motor vehicle is NOT an extension of your home, that is bad information that is repeated over and over again by the unknowing. COE expressly prohibits firearms on it's land, even in a motor vehicle and they are in control of most lakes in Georgia. I know a lot of guys carry in their boats with no problem, but all it takes is having them search your boat one time while carrying at the wrong place and your right to carry may be severely curtailed in the future. Arm chair lawyers will tell you that you aren't carrying on COE land while in your boat, but unless your boat flew there you were on COE land with a weapon and will be again if you leave the water to go home with your boat. I think the COE regulation is stupid, but I obey it because I don't want to deal with a Federal firearms charge.

Hard to get one when your under 21.....

Hard to get one when your under 21, and Brushy Branch is not COE land...

Back
Top Bottom