Question about LC 09 30-06 brass

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallacem

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
163   0
Reaction score
Helping a buddy reload some 30-06. He is new to reloading and I am not experienced with military 30-06 brass. Is it heavier or thicker than commercial brass like .556 brass is? Wondering if we need to back off max loads. Wallacem

I would start off very close to the smallest recommended load weight and work your way up. It should be very good brass to work with so I would imagine you could probably load it heavy with little sign of stress. I usually start off somewhere in the middle and then build up from there. But I load for an AR so sometimes the smallest load won't cycle the weapon. I think you will find that you can usually exceed maximum load recommendations but you have to work it up and small increments. Then check for case stress after each load test.

But to answer your questions it is a little heavier brass so you need to start on the lighter side if it's a bolt action. Take the lightest load and reduce it by a couple of percent because of the brass being of heavier gauge.

LC 09? Was lake city making 30-06 in 2009? Or we talking 1909? Either way start at minimum and work your way up. Same as any other time you change a component.

I am betting Lake City didn't exist in 1909.

You can determine whether or not your brass is "thicker" by measuring the case volume and comparing it to commercial cases. The outside dimensions should be SAAMI specs so "same-same."

I'd not worry too much about pressure spikes if loading standard bullet weights with commonly used powders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom