• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

question about primers....

gregj

Default rank <5 posts
Outdoorsman
0   0
Reaction score
When looking at different reloading manuals , speer, nosler, hornady, etc,etc. they
list the type of primer they use for that particular load. How important is it to use the
specified primer? If i use FED large rifle instead of CCI 200 for instance am I going to see a signficant change in the performance of the round? Will it be unsafe?

thanks in advance

greg

You probably won't see any significant difference, unless it calls for magnum primer. Some primers are Harder than others for different reasons. I haven't personally seen any difference in the Harder Primers in Semi-Autos than Regular Primers, I've never had a Slam Fire or out of Battery Fire. I use the same rifle primer (Win. or CCI ) in all mine. .243, 30-30, 30.06, .300 savage, 7.7 Jap etc.

Last edited:
CCI ans Federal are very similar in terms of burn rate. the only real differences you will see is magnum primers as stated above. now Winchester primers burn very hot as far as large rifle primers go, I use Win LR primers for my magnum loads. if you pair these with a fast burning powder you may have an over pressure issue but not so much as to be dangerous but may affect your velocity. I found this chart on another reloading forum.

http://www.castingstuff.com/primer_testing_reference.htm

I asked a NRA instructor on reloading this exact question and his direction to me was that as long as you are using a pistol for pistola nd a rifle for rifle, and a small for small and a large for large primers you are ok......AND NEVER substitiute a MAGNUM Primer for a regular primer and vise versa.

What type of performance are you referring to? When It comes to accuracy the primer can make a huge difference from load to load. Sometimes all that's required to change a mediocre load into a real shooter is a change in the primer brand.

If you are reloading for accuracy, then primers can make all the difference in the world. If not, then using the brand (CCI,Fed, etc) you have on hand is ok. Just do as the instructor said (small for small, etc.) BHJ is right. You would be suprised how something you would think is trivial wil make a great difference in performance.

Back
Top Bottom