• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question about purchasing guns in another state?

I thought that: even if the Georgia long-gun buyer has a valid CWP, the FFL dealers in South Carolina (and Tenn) are still required to perform a NICS background check.. yes-no?
Yes. A carry license only exempts you from a NICS check if it is issued by the state where the firearm is transferred.

Yes. A carry license only exempts you from a NICS check if it is issued by the state where the firearm is transferred.
Agreed for some states but not all states. In Alabama, a carry license no longer exempts you. Each and every transfer must be called in. Really gripes my arse too!

Agreed for some states but not all states. In Alabama, a carry license no longer exempts you. Each and every transfer must be called in. Really gripes my arse too!
Right, but then I didn't say for all states. It is up to each individual state whether a carry license exempts you from a background check but Federal law says that it only can exempt you if it is in the state where it was issued. I know of no state where an out of state carry permit would exempt you from a NICS check.

What about private sales? Say someone in S.C wanted to buy a bolt action (action only not a rifle) from an individual in Ga. Would it have to go through an FFL?

Back
Top Bottom