• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question About Recent Traffic Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct, Driving is a privilege.

4 th amendment : The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Thanks for all the responses.

No I did not offer him my GWL, and I never will offer an officer my GWL. If they ask about weapons in the vehicle (which I've never been asked), I like the phrase one of our ODT members posted, "Officer, there are no illegal weapons in the vehicle". But I do not offer up any information that would give them "probable cause" to search me or my vehicle.

Unfortunately, I was so blindsided by the whole event that my wits escaped me and I didn't write down his name anywhere and I can't remember what it was. So I don't think it will do anybody any good to write a letter about the situation (if you can't prove it, or at least corroborate it, it never happened).

Chalk it up to profiling or fishing or power-happy Deputy trying to impress his superiors on his first day of solo patrol duty...who knows... I'm frankly a bit surprised he didn't ask for my permission to search the vehicle (which I would have respectfully refused).

I would still follow up with a letter, and tell them the exact location, and time of the stop. There is a record of the radio traffic. At best, the LEO's superior can have a chat with him, and set him straight on the actual law. At worst your letter gets ignored. I would say it is worth your time.

I too have been pulled over by cherokee and they also were shining lights into truck. Was told my tag lights were out and after a while was told to have a saFe trip home. They than followed me for about 2 miles so close i could'nt see their headlights in rearview. When i arrived home i ck'd my tag lights and both were working. Kinda s--ks that they just want to harress people who are abiding the law.

Sounds like rookie, the stop,(from what you say) is suspect.
However if the LEO has reasonable belief that a crime has been committed then he can pull you over. And yes he can ask for all IDs. (Supreme Court decision)
From What you describe it sounds like he may have been looking for a vehicle like yours, but may be his pride would not let him admit he made a mistake. OR...
Check your wiring, I have pulled over at least two cars that had tail lights out. As they pulled to the side of the road the lights came back on. Kinda hard to explain, they probably thought I was harrasing them too.

Sounds like rookie, the stop,(from what you say) is suspect.
However if the LEO has reasonable belief that a crime has been committed then he can pull you over. And yes he can ask for all IDs. (Supreme Court decision)
From What you describe it sounds like he may have been looking for a vehicle like yours, but may be his pride would not let him admit he made a mistake. OR...
Check your wiring, I have pulled over at least two cars that had tail lights out. As they pulled to the side of the road the lights came back on. Kinda hard to explain, they probably thought I was harrasing them too.

I agree that there may have been a BOLO for a similar vehicle and maybe that is why he pulled me over.

BUT he didn't pull me over because my taillights were OUT, he pulled me over because they were, in his words, "kinda dim". I could understand being pulled over for taillights being burned out, but "kinda dim"? That, to me, sounds like it was either fishing or a BOLO stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom