• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question About Recent Traffic Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
What proof do you have that this is what happens? Please provide it. Thank you.

If the newpaper runs it, which there is a good chance if you live in a smaller town, the department will feel compelled to at least respond to the allegations.

About it going to the shredder, working for 2.5 years in the Hall County justice system pretty much taught me how complaints were handled in their office at least. It had to be a very strongly supported allegation to get any kind of attention and complaints about fishing were not addressed. Granted the idea that they go to the shredder is hyperbolic, but most complaints are filed away and simply ignored unless the same officer gets into other kinds of trouble they can bring it up against him. I got fished out one time because I took a detour through the wrong side of town, they claimed I was swerving, I asked an officer at work about it and he pretty much told me it was fishing and there wasn't a whole lot to do about it but file a complaint which wouldn't really make much of a wave in the ocean so to speak.

I don't think anyone could provide "proof" that this happens unless they had a personal experience in which they tested both methods of filing a complaint, maybe someone who has pursued filing complaints or writing letters will enlighten us with a more objective observation.

I am a retired LEO and I have been stopped a few times and given the weaving excuse and I know I wasn't, a couple of times I was told my car was similar to one in a bolo etc. and I know that they just wanted to check me out because something told them there might be something amiss.
But as long as the LEO is civil and courteous,I have no problem with his inquiries....in fact I'm glad to see that he is out working to know who is moving around the area.
Many serious crimes have been solved by just such instances from officers shift notes and radio logs concerning vehicle/pedestrian stops near the area and time of the crime.
Over my career, I've removed a number of undesirable elements from the streets by just following my instincts that something was questionable or just caught my attention or seemed to be out of place.
In today's world, they can "fish" me all they want to because if they are checking me,they are also checking the bad guys.
Like I said,if the LEO's tone is civil and courteous as it should be, then it is a good officer doing his job in our best interests and I recognize it as such. In fact, I have on occasion called the department head and complemented the officer for his demeaner and alertness.
By the same token, I've mad calls on one or two that were completely out of line and deserved it due to overbearing attitudes and unnecessary hostility.
Complaints are not ignored as long as you are willing to follow up the letter or call with a personal interview with a department supervisor. This is proceedure..so many are willing to file false accusations against LEOs..that it is necessay to sort the fake from the real. So, if you think you have a legimate complaint, MAN UP and walk in the door and file it.
Just remember, there is a big difference between, just a little inconvience/delay because a officer felt that an inquiry was needed and an overly aggressive, beligerant officercommitting an unjustified act of bullying because he "thinks" he can get away with it.

I'm with Badger. I'd feel better knowing they were being proactive in the area other than nothing.

Police are not the enemy of law abiding citizens. There is always this apprehension and nervousness around police. I really think if you have nothing to hide, this shouldn't be the case. IMO

dim tail lights sounds, weaving, and my personal favorite... "I could not see your seatbelt" (really guy... is 10 o'clock at night"... I couldnt see your police car much less your seatbelt)

all of these ways law enforcement can stop you to see if you are doing something else, use their lovely plain view doctrine, and other means of entertainment on slow days.

If I get pulled over and know I did something wrong... I have no problem paying the price. But when I have to throw the bull*s*h*i*t* flag... the cops is getting nothing but a rude demeanor from me.

Hmmmmm....as far as "I'm glad they pull over law-abiding citizens, because that way you know they're pulling over the bad guys, too, and doing their job".....

I recall another Law Enforcement agency that would interrogate and impose their self-righteous power upon innocent, law-abiding citizens. Perhaps we should adopt their uniform?

[Broken External Image]:

In my opinion, the Long Arm of the Law NEVER has the right to interrogate or "inconvenience" me because of a "gut instinct". If the laws of our country allow our LEO's to follow "hunches", please enlighten me and site those laws.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited:
I seem to remember you making some prior comments about applying for an LEO job, I hope you get it, then perhaps, in time, you will learn that if for no other reason, it is important to your own survival to know whose moving around your beat.
To compare our LEO's with the Gestapo is totally ridiculous and absolutely absurd.
I am finished with this thread, as it has always been that everyone is an expert EXCEPT THE GUY THAT HAS TO DO THE WORK.

I seem to remember you making some prior comments about applying for an LEO job, I hope you get it, then perhaps, in time, you will learn that if for no other reason, it is important to your own survival to know whose moving around your beat.
To compare our LEO's with the Gestapo is totally ridiculous and absolutely absurd.
I am finished with this thread, as it has always been that everyone is an expert EXCEPT THE GUY THAT HAS TO DO THE WORK.

That's okay if you're done with the thread. But I am going to reply to one more statement you've just made.

I'm not saying that all our officers are liken to the Gestapo. But consider some of the very basic principles that set our country apart. Namely, the very basic principle of "Innocent until proven guilty". If I commit a crime, I expect to be punished based upon the laws that govern such behavior and the provisions for consequences set forth for such actions. But if you think its okay to ask law-abiding citizens to submit to indiscriminate and baseless harassment all in the name of "personal safety"....that is a very basic Gestapo ideal.

The SS would invite themselves into your home and interrogate you and your family on their own whim just in the off chance you might be a "criminal" harboring a Jew. They didn't need any evidence to conduct such searches. They would just do it because they wanted to. And, yes, many times these unwarranted searches turned up some "criminals". But what about the rest of the people who had their homes torn apart from top to bottom just because they somehow managed to offend an SS soldier?

Yes, I have applied to law enforcement. Not because I want to wear a "do anything I want to and get away with it" badge. But because I want to serve my country, my state, and my community. I personally think it is just plain sad that many officers have given THEMSELVES bad names in our community because of the way they "serve" their community (power-drunk mavericks looking for a big catch at the expense of the law-abiding citizens).

The officer who thinks it is okay to put seemingly innocent people through the ringer without cause, just in the off chance that they might be a fugitive from justice...well they are no better than the Nazis who very freely, openly, and brazenly did the same thing to the people they "served", except of course our officers don't slaughter "criminals" just because of their religion....

Ben Franklin said:
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

For the record....this thread wasn't started with the intention of police-bashing. I started it because I wanted some insight on how to handle an ordeal that I saw as a violation of my rights. You are the one who suggested that such violations should not only be tolerated, but should be welcomed and perceived as a job well done (as long as they are civil and courteous when they ask you to bend over):

Badger said:
In today's world, they can "fish" me all they want to because if they are checking me,they are also checking the bad guys.
Like I said,if the LEO's tone is civil and courteous as it should be, then it is a good officer doing his job in our best interests and I recognize it as such.

I can see it now...."Sir, we're going to need you to give us all your guns, ammo, knives, and car keys. All of these items can be used as weapons. We're taking them away from everyone, not just the criminals. Trust us, it is in your best interest."

"Oh, well okay. Since you were nice about it and all....here you go! Thanks for protecting me from myself!"

Last edited:
FOR ALL : The founders of this country gave you constitutional rights to protect you from government, military and over-zealous government figurers, it does not protect you from horse theives, robbers, killers. Our founding fathers were brilliant and did'nt like being harassed either, which they had all experienced.

How many of you would complain about a Drunk driver that hurt or killed one of your friends or family members? Drunks are caught every night by these "fishing" expeditions. These drunks are taken off the road unable to kill someone that night. If they aren't pulling people over and someone gets hurt, it's the LEOs fault for not stopping them. If they pull you over at 3 AM on a Satruday morning leaving an area with bars after they believe they saw you swerving, they are infringing on your rights. :(

How many of you want the illegal "aliens" gone? How many do you think are caught everyday by a LEO pulling over a vehicle for a seatbelt violation, or broken tail light.

Comparing LEOs to the Gestapo is absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom