• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Question About Recent Traffic Stop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read this 4 times to see if I am reading it wrong. Are you saying that there should NOT be a cause for an intoxicated driver to be pulled over, just in case HE thinks he MAY be ok to drive?

Please enlighten me and tell me I am not understanding. Driving while intoxicated IS illegal. Do some homework and look at 100 cases where severe injury or fatalities were the result. Then look and see their BAL (blood alcohol level). Having impaired motor skills can easily contribute to a severe accident. PERIOD.

I may ask have you EVER had a close friend or family member killed or injured by a drunk driver? Just asking

And please find me ONE example of another person being a victim from a driver just finished a Double Whopper. Your entire comment seems way off.
If people want to eat themselves to obesity, go right ahead.....but DO NOT ask fellow citizens to pay for your healthcare with their hard earned money.

The two topics have ZERO to do with each other.

And I know jeep. Great guy. Doubtful that 90% of the crap being said here was ever his intention.

no i did not say okay to drive drunk. but I will say I will have 2 or 3 beers over dinner and have no problem driving. If they want DUI laws to work fairly... then they need to make it fair. We routinely get cases into our office of people being arrested for DUI having blown a .04 or .05 (3 or 4 beers over an hour or hour and half depending on weight) and get slapped with DUI less safe. Bull****... complete and total bull****. Essentially you take your last swig of the one beer you have at dinner as you are getting up from the table... you get pulled over a few minutes later. You blow breath alcohol... you go to jail.

other question... yes I had a close friend severly injured and a family member killed. Both by people that were actually DRUNK... as in smashed out of their mind and no idea where they were. My beef is with the fuzzy gray area that cops can implement "officer descretion" which in some cases translates into personal bias and beliefs. Technically its not the cops fault... the laws need to be written more clearly so that the police enforce black and white law, which elimiates the opportunity for bias to enter.

One example of finishing a double whopper? perhaps not precisely a double whopper... but those that have heart attack or stroke behind the wheel and carine into oncoming traffic or strike a pedestrian do happen. Pretty sure diet may have something to do with a heart attack and stroke... not positive... but i think those health people might be onto something... you eat bad **** and reap the consequences.

but guess what! some of those folks eating themselves into obesity... may not kill me on the road... but they will kill me through my wallet as the cost of healthcare increases. I will take a solid hit from a drunk or dead fat f*** over someone stealing my money any day.

Ho hum. Way off topic. This is not where I wanted this thread to go. If someone wants to open a thread about whether or not DUI is okay or whether certain laws are ridiculous, then go ahead.

As Klark said, I had NO intention of this thread digressing like this.

The original post was asking for advice after being pulled over even though no laws were broken. I got the responses I needed, so I'm going to go ahead and shut this down.

We could go on for days about whether LEO's or Individuals should be responsible for whatever issues, whether it be drinking limits, stereo volume, how dark it needs to be to have to turn your headlights on, how late is too late to be chillin' on your back deck with some of your pals, or any other subjective issues that come down to discretion. But that isn't what this thread was for.

I hate that my thread brought out some extremely negative comments as well as some harmful rhetoric about the men and women who serve our communities and our state as LEO's. That was NEVER my intention, and I wish I had closed the thread at the time when I posted "thanks for all the responses" several pages ago. But I left it open as a discussion thread, not ever imagining that this is where it would lead.

For any ODT members who are LEO's, family of LEO's, or retired LEO's; I want to apologize for any and all comments made by myself and/or any other members that may have been offensive or derogatory to our uniformed public safety personnel. I want to convey that my "Gestapo" comparison was not meant to insinuate that our officers share a common line of thinking as the Gestapo. Rather, it was a response to the comment about particular officers who harass law-abiding citizens for the sake of "the greater good".

I know a lot of people who "hate" cops. Those people, to me, seem to usually start their explanation with the phrase "every time I get pulled over" or "ever interaction I've ever had with a cop". My response to those people is usually something along lines of "If you weren't breaking the law, you wouldn't have these stories to share. If you hadn't been speeding/drinking/smoking pot/blaring your stereo/causing a ruckus the the cops wouldn't have been called out and you wouldn't have had that "interaction". It seems to me that the only people who "hate" cops are the ones who are always breaking the law and then getting pissed because they were punished for it (yes, I DO think that $300 is a reasonable fine for driving 90 mph in a 65).

So I'm gonna shut this down. I hope that the negative rhetoric in this thread doesn't negatively reflect the ODT community as a whole. As with any issue with two sides, the arguments from each can get heated and evolve into nonsensical ridiculous banter that only serves to insight more anger and discord. In a community like this one, I love the fact that we can share these opinions openly, but I think that we should all (myself included) start to put a little bit of a filter on our comments if for no reason than to refrain from offending our fellow members. I'm not calling for censorship. Rather, just a higher level of mutual respect for differing opinions.

Thanks all for your comments.

Moderators; if you so choose to reopen this thread, that is fine. But for my part, I am going to close it down and walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom