Question about removing friends of girlfriend/roommate from house

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewga11

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
66   0
Reaction score
My girlfriend brought some friends of hers that I dont like to our house. I asked them to leave multiple times and they refused and spouted some bulls**t about her being on the lease. Can I call the police to get them out of my house or will they not really do anything? I am concerned about these "friends" having sticky fingers and wondered if I have any legal recourse to get them out of our house in the future.

ETA: See post 46 for clarification. Most of responses have assumed them living or staying here and that is not the case.

If they’ve been staying there fo 30+ days then they might have squatters or other rights. Legal system has been practically shut down since March, and Gwinnett Sheriff’s offices are still not serving evictions. Your lease will, or should, cover this scenario and you might consider getting the landlord/property owner involved. If your name is on lease AND girls have been there less than 30 days then you may have the upper hand and be able to call the police and make up some story about loud behavior and excessive alcohol and you sometimes smell what you think is pot.

Yeah, are these residents that are living at your house or just frequent visitors?
Do they stay overnight? Do they leave some of their belongings there when they're away?
You may have "tenants" who have legal rights and can only be removed by legal process called an eviction.

And as for your girlfriend Giving them permission to stay, and if your girlfriend is in fact on the lease with you and has equal standing in equal rights to the property as you do, THEN you betcha that she can authorize these women to stay with you. (If you wanted sole control over the premises, you should've made sure that only your name was on the lease.)

Unless you and the girlfriend have some legally enforceable contract that spells out of your rights and responsibilities to each other, and her having her friends come stay with y'all would be a violation of that agreement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom